Proxmox VE big number of separate VLANs

dqq

Jan 30, 2020
Hi,

I want to achieve following task:
1) Have multiple VLANs (1000+) that are separate from each other
2) Be able to create CTs in those VLANs BUT they are not supposed to talk to each other (cross VLAN) and/or snoop any traffic that is not in their respective VLANs
3) Be able to connect/communicate from one VM to all of those VLANs

Why? I want and VPN server, that will be able to talk to all CTs but CTs are not supposed to talk to anybody except to VPN server on selected VM.

One of my first thought would be to create multiple OVSBridges, then:
1) When creating CT, add it to corresponding OVSBridge
2) Add All OVSBridges to VPN VM

But, according to my previous question, this is not possible due to limit of 32 interfaces in VM:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-vm-maxium-number-of-network-interfaces.64788/

What would be the best way to achieve this?

Thank you for your support

use vlan in the vm...i use many vlans on a pfsense vm but define the vlans in the vm not on the proxmox side

Reactions: spirit
I did it with FreeBSD by tagging one Virtio NIC with many VLANs. But you can also do it with Linux or even Windows.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!