Proxmox VE API gives HTTP error 500, "user name not set" when PUT qemu config.

tjying95

Mar 11, 2020
Hi all,

I have a cluster of 4 Proxmox servers, all running version 6.2-4, a version that I prefer not upgrade unless I necessary have to.
I am creating and removing many QEMU VMs few times a day with up to 20 VMs being concurrently created at a time. I am doing this programmatically through the PVE API.

I occasionally am encountering this error when executing a PUT request on https://PROXMOX_SERVER:8006/api2/json/nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config:
Code:
HTTPError: 500 Server Error: user name not set
This happens around 5% of time. I am using username and password to authenticate to the API. The same requests chain is executed every time.

Here are the requests chain I run:
  1. GET /nodes
  2. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu
  3. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/100/config/
  4. Continues to query for all the other VMs.
  5. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/1543/status/current/
  6. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/1543/clone <-- Cloning as a linked clone.
  7. Wait for completion.
  8. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config/
  9. PUT /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config <-- This sets the config description to empty.
  10. GET /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config/
  11. PUT /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config <-- This sets the config description to something.
The bolded line is where the error comes out.

I tried searching around, but doesn't seem like anyone been encountering this before.
Is this a known issue? Anything I can do to solve this?

code_language.shell:
~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 6.2-1 (running kernel: 5.4.34-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.2-4 (running version: 6.2-4/9824574a)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.2-1
pve-kernel-helper: 6.2-1
pve-kernel-5.4.34-1-pve: 5.4.34-2
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1
corosync: 3.0.3-pve1
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.15-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.0.3
libpve-access-control: 6.1-1
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-common-perl: 6.1-2
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-10
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-5
libpve-storage-perl: 6.1-7
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4
lxc-pve: 4.0.2-1
lxcfs: 4.0.3-pve2
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.2-1
pve-cluster: 6.1-8
pve-container: 3.1-5
pve-docs: 6.2-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200229-1
pve-firewall: 4.1-2
pve-firmware: 3.1-1
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-9
pve-i18n: 2.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 5.0.0-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.3.0-1
qemu-server: 6.2-2
smartmontools: 7.1-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.3-pve1

is there anything in the logs ("journalctl --since XXX --until XXX" surrounding the time of the last request? how many requests are happening roughly in that timeframe (check /var/log/pveproxy/access.log)?

Doesn't seem to have anything useful in the logs.
Please ignore the qmp command 'guest-ping' failed - got timeout. Those are expected as I am using it to check if the VM is up.

There are quite some number of requests during that timeframe.

Attachments

• access.log
    20.8 KB · Views: 6
  • journalctl.log
    25.3 KB · Views: 6
the amount of requests doesn't look too bad, unless this a very overloaded system in general.. I would still recommend upgrading to 7.x, since 6.x is EOL and no longer supported in any fashion..

the amount of requests doesn't look too bad, unless this a very overloaded system in general.. I would still recommend upgrading to 7.x, since 6.x is EOL and no longer supported in any fashion..
I would prefer not to upgrade at the moment. We would need to do a bunch of validations to make sure our tools work with the newer versions etc. :(

Do you know in which component this error message "user name not set" is produced? Maybe I can try to trace it from there.

you can grep for it in /usr/share/perl5/PVE ;)

Thanks. I tried looking around the source, it doesn't seem to lead to anything that might cause this.

Just wondering, is there is any code path difference if I used PUT vs POST for /nodes/PROXMOX_SERVER/qemu/606/config? My understanding is that it shouldn't affect anything much, other than long config setting being set as a task and returned early. Also if the config is locked, will using POST help? Or it will just error out and complain config is locked as usual?

I am using a workaround to retry if it encounter this error. Not the best solution, but I think it should work.

the only difference between PUT or POST on the config call is as you say - whether the handling happens sync (by the API server worker itself, with a 30s timeout) or async (in a newly forked task worker, without a timeout, with the return value of the API call being the task UPID for further queries). locking and all the other things are identical.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!