[SOLVED] Proxmox VE API /api2/json/pools optional field "members" empty

kumraa

Mar 6, 2024
HI!

I was trying to find out which pool is connected to a VM-ID by searching with the VM-ID. In theory I should be able to use the /api2/json/pools API call to return the pool-id and the data of it's members, where I could find the VM-ID and backtrace it to the pool. The documentation states that the optional field "members" should get returned.

Sadly only the fields "poolid" and "comment" are returned in HTTP GET calls to /api2/json/pools.

When tried with pvesh get /pools the field is listed but remains empty. I checked with /pools/{poolid} and the values of the members field gets listed their.

Code:
┌───────────────┬────────────────────────────────────────────────┬─────────┐
│ poolid        │ comment                                        │ members │
╞═══════════════╪════════════════════════════════════════════════╪═════════╡

So is this an error in the documentation or a potential bug?

Also maybe you could suggest another way to find out which pool contains the vm when searching from the vm-id..

Thanks!

the API endpoint is shared between "/pools" and "/pools/{poolid}", and only when querying a specific pool are the members returned.

but, "/cluster/resources" also has the information (you can filter by "type" -> "vm")

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!