Proxmox VE 7.4 released!

We target 1280x720 (i.e., 720p) as minimum one for the Proxmox VE GUI.
Oh! Perhaps that is the problem.
My TV Monitor works better with 1360x768.
720p is horrible here. But I notice that in 1280x720 it's even worst!
If I use 1360x768, the job window appears normal, at least until I click in the advanced box.

Check out:

With 1280x720 resolution

pve-1280x720.png

With 1360x768

pve-1360x768.png

Last edited:
If I use 1360x768, the job window appears normal, at least if I do not hit the advanced box.
Ah ok, yeah the OS application bar and browser tab/address bar takes up quite a bit of height here, so it adds up.
We look into making it more responsive in the future.

Is the manual maintenance and new CRS scheduling point not enough for you as one small step in that direction? ;)
yes sure ! (waiting for dynamic load to be honest, but step by step, it's better ^_^)

ps. we updated the motto to "cattles AND pets", to clarify that both should work well (and better in the future!) in Proxmox VE
I'm just curious about
"
  • Improve user and virtual machine managing experience on big setups
  • Add cluster-wide update and status control center
"
(don't seem related to crs in the roadmap).

Is it some improvements in current gui or some kind of new external gui aka "cloud interface mode" (cluster-wide update, multi-cluster support,..)

Thank for for including the dark theme! This is a really useful (and long awaited) feature. :)

• Improve user and virtual machine managing experience on big setups
  • Add cluster-wide update and status control center
The vm management is a bit related to CRS, but yeah the other ones aren't but are meant for improvements directly in Proxmox VE itself.
Is it some improvements in current gui or some kind of new external gui aka "cloud interface mode" (cluster-wide update, multi-cluster support,..)
The datacenter manager is something we're currently still laying groundwork for various things and API stacks, but as it will be for having a central managing and status view for multiple DCs the core functionality will still be added to PVE. I hope we can share some news for this in Q4 w.r.t. to that; anyhow - this is the Proxmox VE 7.4 release thread, so let's avoid going too much off-topic here from that :)

Reactions: Tmanok and spirit
Reactions: Colin 't Hart
i'm a little bit confused.

i did update my testcluster from pve-no-subscription yesterday , but dark mode for example is not there.

wasn't pve-no-subscription meant as a pre-release/staging repo where things appear before they get released and merged into "stable" ?

Last edited:
Something Kube-like eventually making a semi-supported entry?
Lets please keep the Kube* items in virtual machines away from the hypervisor, where they belong. Personally think the same of LXC containers as well.

I'd love to see more of a 'cloud-init' style setup for joining a cluster from bare metal into Proxmox, but am happy with what we have now.

i'm a little bit confused.

i did update my testcluster from pve-no-subscription yesterday , but dark mode for example is not there.

wasn't pve-no-subscription meant as a pre-release/staging repo where things appear before they get released and merged into "stable" ?
Almost all packages (especially key packages like kernel or QEMU) where on no-subscription since a few weeks, the gui and some other packages where much more heavily tested by internal QA over the last week and with that and the fact that those packages are not really affected by (server) HW and as such moved directly.

Reactions: RolandK
Hello,
I have a question regarding the 7.3 > 7.4 upgrade.
I'm running on kernel 6.1.
Should I opt-in 6.2 prior to the 7.4 upgrade, or can I upgrade 7.4 first and do the kernel later or remain in 6.1?

I don't mind having the kernel 6.2. I just want to upgrade the proper way.
Thank you

Last edited:
Updated today including Ceph to Quincy. Used the docs, updates went smooth. Loving the dark theme also using it on the forum.
Great Job!

Reactions: t.lamprecht
Should I opt-in 6.2 prior to the 7.4 upgrade, or can I upgrade 7.4 first and do the kernel later or remain in 6.1?
There's no hard requirement to update the kernel upfront nor has it to be done directly afterwards, but 6.1 won't get many updates anymore so it does make sense to switch sooner or later.

this is mentioned in the Release Notes.. what does this mean & can you please provide an example?

• It is now possible to override the specific subdirectories for content (ISOs, container templates, backups, guest disks) to custom values through the content-dirs option.

Unable to add 2nd IDE CD-ROM Device:

kvm: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-ide1,id=ide1,bootindex=101: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units

Looks like VM config got "confused" I removed both CD-ROM Devices and added them again, and changed Machine Type to q35 Version 7.1 works OK now.

Last edited:
Hi,
Unable to add 2nd IDE CD-ROM Device:

kvm: -device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-ide1,id=ide1,bootindex=101: Can't create IDE unit 1, bus supports only 1 units

Looks like VM config got "confused" I removed both CD-ROM Devices and added them again, and changed Machine Type to q35 Version 7.1 works OK now.
thank you for the report! I can reproduce the issue when using ide0 and ide1, but only with machine type q35. Using ide0 and ide2 works for both machine types. And it seems to be an old issue, also happening with pve-qemu-kvm=6.0.0-4.

Hi,

thank you for the report! I can reproduce the issue when using ide0 and ide1, but only with machine type q35. Using ide0 and ide2 works for both machine types. And it seems to be an old issue, also happening with pve-qemu-kvm=6.0.0-4.
Glad you can reproduce the issue. You are right, it also works here with q35 Version 7.2 if not using ide1.

this is mentioned in the Release Notes.. what does this mean & can you please provide an example?

• It is now possible to override the specific subdirectories for content (ISOs, container templates, backups, guest disks) to custom values through the content-dirs option.
In directory-based storages [1], different content types have default subdirs that they are stored in. It's now possible to override these using the content-dirs option in /etc/pve/storage.cfg. These overrides are specified in a type=location comma-separated list, where type is one of the content types configured for these storage (backup, vztmpl, iso, images…). You can also find an example in [1]. Note that changing these for already existing storages might lead to some problems, since the previous location isn't checked anymore for, say, ISOs and the like. A patch to set these values in the GUI when creating a storage is already on the mailing list [2], and I'm currently revising it a bit.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_Directory
[2] https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2023-March/056178.html

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!