[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 7.2 : /usr/bin/kvm error

remuald

Aug 25, 2022
Hi,

I have an issue with /usr/bin/kvm binarie and maybe other files.

My proxmox server have been installed 15 days ago with 2 NVMe in RAID 1 ZFS and Proxmox VE 7.2 ISO.

But since last upgrade (this week) the backup feature doesn't work and after proxmox reboot, I can't start any VM.
qemu-server 7.2-3 to 7.2-4
pve-qemu-kvm 6.2.0-11 to 7.0.0-2
update.png

I have always same error :
#qm start 100
/usr/bin/kvm: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/kvm: undefined symbol: proxmox_backup_new_ns
Command '/usr/bin/kvm --version' failed: exit code 127
Detetecd old QEMU binary ('unknown', at least 3.0 is required)

#/usr/bin/kvm --version
/usr/bin/kvm: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/kvm: undefined symbol: proxmox_backup_new_ns

After qemu-server and pve-qemu-kvm reinstall, nothing change

Do you have any idea to fix this issue ? Or I need to completely reinstall Proxmox Ve ?

Thank for your feedback.

Last edited:
How did you upgrade the server? If you did it manually on the CLI, did you run apt upgrade or apt full-upgrade? Alternatively, with apt-get it should be apt-get dist-upgrade and not apt-get upgrade

Thank you for your quick answer
Sure, I have used Upgrade via WebUI interface. And after the reboot via CLI with all commands (apt upgrade, apt full-upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade)

Hmm, what is the output of the following command?

Code:
debsums -s pve-qemu-kvm libproxmox-backup-qemu0 proxmox-backup-client proxmox-backup-file-restore

Before apply this command I need to install debsums, but the command result is :
Can't locate Dpkg/Conf.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Dpkg::Conf module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.32.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.32.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.32 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base /usr/lib/x86_64-lin
ux-gnu/perl/5.32 /usr/share/perl/5.32 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at /usr/bin/debsums line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/debsums line 22.

In other hand, when I reinstall the libproxmox-backup-qemu0, I can apply with success the qm start 100 command :).
"apt install libproxmox-backup-qemu0 --reinstall"

So, now, I think the issue is fixed. I have changed the type of this topic to Solved ;).

Thank you for this suggest.

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!