Proxmox VE 7.2 released!

Hi, sorry for the "stupid" question. When you write that the upgrade to the 7.2 release can be done by gui do you mean that it is possible to perform it using the iso without subscription turned on? Just wondering because I installed 7 days ago a 3 node 7.1.2 cluster that I was tuning and I would like to upgrade to the last release to continue my tests.
Kind regards
if you don't have subscroption license, you need to enable the nosubscription repository , and simply do the update online.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories

(you can configure it though the gui too)

Made the mistake of upgrading, now gpu passthrough is broken. The VM fails to start up with the helpful error message: "failed: got timeout". Basically the same thing is syslog. If I remove the GPU, the boots and runs fine. Add the GPU back as passthrough, fails to start.

Is there any way to find out any real useful info on what is happening besides the "got timeout"?

Made the mistake of upgrading, now gpu passthrough is broken. The VM fails to start up with the helpful error message: "failed: got timeout". Basically the same thing is syslog. If I remove the GPU, the boots and runs fine. Add the GPU back as passthrough, fails to start.

Is there any way to find out any real useful info on what is happening besides the "got timeout"?
There are multiple similar reports. Booting kernel 5.13 seems to be a work-around. Do you see BAR can't reserve memory errors in the system logs? Do you see BOOTFB in /proc/iomem?

Has anyone done a fresh install of 7.2 and have login issues? I've installed it 4 times now with easier and easier passwords and configs to no avail. I can't log into the GUI or the terminal.

Has anyone done a fresh install of 7.2 and have login issues? I've installed it 4 times now with easier and easier passwords and configs to no avail. I can't log into the GUI or the terminal.
That sounds rather odd, besides keyboard map config, which you probably tried to avoid by using simpler passwords, there's not much besides some disk failure that would stop one from logging in as root@pam on a default installation. Do you see any errors flash up on boot? Could you verify that the password gets typed in correctly by testing entering it in the username query?

I am creating a new ceph erasure coded pool using the following command:
Code:
pveceph pool create slow_ceph --erasure-coding k=2,m=1,failure-domain=osd

Using this I would expect a pool with 2 data chunks and 1 coding chunk.
So that would mean I get a pool that is able to use 66% of my pools space as a sort of raid 5.
But when I look at the storage that is attached to the pool it says 2,22T usable (total pool storage is 6,4T)

In a second attempt I created a pool with 3 data chunks and 1 coding chunk as that should allow for 75% usable space.
And again the storage that was made reports a 2,22T usable.

I see the command creates 2 pools, 1replicated metadata pool (which it attaches the storage to) and 1 data pool with erasure coding.
So am I doing something wrong? Or do I expecting to see incorrect/other numbers then I should be expecting?

@Thaillie:
You are not alone with this confusion. I have created a ec pool for testing the new features, too.
I have written a lot of test-data to the pool and was confused that the usage of the storage remains at 0.00% (101KB).
I think maybe the data on the summary shows the metrics of the metadata pool instead of the data pool. However the data is written without problems to the data pool and i can access it without problems. The usage of the pool is growing when writing data (i can see at the pools overview).

Can anyone confirm this behaviour?

I can see v7.2-3 in my console but I cannot see the VMID Range under Datacentere > Options. Last available option is still "Maximal Workers/Bulk action".
I also cannot see VirGL as an display option, only VirtIO-GPU and all the usual ones.
Here are my package versions:
Code:
proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.15.35-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.2-3 (running version: 7.2-3/c743d6c1)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.2-3
pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-3
pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-9
pve-kernel-5.15.35-1-pve: 5.15.35-2
pve-kernel-5.13.19-6-pve: 5.13.19-15
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4
ceph-fuse: 15.2.15-pve1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.22-pve2
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.2
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.1-8
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.1-6
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.1-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-1
libpve-storage-perl: 7.2-2
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.12-1
lxcfs: 4.0.12-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 2.1.8-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.1.8-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.4-10
pve-cluster: 7.2-1
pve-container: 4.2-1
pve-docs: 7.2-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.4-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-4
pve-i18n: 2.7-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.2.0-5
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1
qemu-server: 7.2-2
smartmontools: 7.2-pve3
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.1~bpo11+1
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.4-pve1

Last edited:
@oguz et al,
You might want to highlight that the memtest86+ v6.0 rewrite is currently BETA software.
"v6 is NOT READY for production yet!
Please consider the actual code as experimental and expect crashes and freezes. First non-beta release is expected this summer."

The memtest86.com version is not beta, but also not open source... ;)

You might want to highlight that the memtest86+ v6.0 rewrite is currently BETA software.
Besides the fact that we refer to the b(eta) version in the release notes: Why does that matter? The old "stable" version, not touched for years, is broken pretty much everywhere, BIOS and UEFI tests failed all, and the new rewrite, while maybe marked as beta, worked in all our tests on quite some hosts from DDR3 to DDR5 and virtual, which the old version couldn't even do. This is a memory test, not a file system or other software that can possibly eat one's data, it just needs to work, which this does and the previous didn't anymore on any just somewhat recent system. Beta is just a label, in the end the stable version, once released, is still under a no liability open source license anyway. If you actually require support for our software stack the only way that guarantees anything is to buy a support subscription, otherwise it's just best effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPete and herzkerl
Debian 9 VM
1 CPU core spiked sometime during the upgrade and didn't go down for almost 12 hours until reset. Average CPU graph for the last month looks like a hockey stick. Storage is Ceph RBD.

Not much to go on but here's the VM config, slightly redacted.

Code:
agent: 1
balloon: 1024
bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64,flags=+aes
description:
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 3072
name:
net0: virtio=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,bridge=vmbrX,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
protection: 1
scsi0: ceph_ssd:vm-145-disk-0,size=10G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
sockets: 1
vga: qxl

Disk config is default so u_ring, no cache and so on.

EDIT: Backup to a PBS instance during the CPU spike succeeded but it could not interact with the QEMU guest agent.
Code:
INFO: skipping guest-agent 'fs-freeze', agent configured but not running?
We are seen issues like this too (as reported in pve-user ML). We also have ceph. Issue is easily reproduced with bulk migrations.
We are trying downgrading pve-kvm-qemu and qemu-server (downgrading the former only didn't work)

I also got tricked in to upgrading and NVidia GPU stopped working with the new 5.15 kernel. 5.13 works.

Having some issues with the screen not working during installation on Dell R610 server. I've tried this with 4 different monitors at our data center, but was successful with Dell R630. It appears that the screen dimensions during installation (after the initial Proxmox installation choice screen, and then the windowed CLI screen that shows after it) blanks during installation, with the monitor stating that the screen dimensions are not compatible with the monitor. The monitors are typical 19" and 24" 4:3 and 16:9 ratio. I realize this may be something to do with the older servers, but what can be done to allow this installation to be completed?

P.S. Was able to install PVE 6 on that box just fine. Definitely something different in PVE 7.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!