Proxmox VE 7.2 released!

It is strange but after the upgrade the webui shows that:

1651783063336.png

This happens some minutes after reboot, initially I see stats and info in the GUI.

EDIT: I have found the problem... I have a QNAP NAS and mounted NFS shares.

Last edited:
Under 7.2 I can not create new VMs. Likewise i can't start VMs that were created in prior versions. I see errors stating QEMU must be version 3.0

Reinstalled 7.1 now all better after commenting out the PVE in my apt/sources.list repositories.

Not sure if that would make it better. I like it that I now can directly add my notes for the backup without needing to edit the notes afterwards. In that case it would mean that I have to delete alot of text from the last manual backup.
What about a "save note as default" button or checkbox next to the notes field so it will only save it as default note text if you really want it and not each time? Could also be hidden behind a "show advanced options" thing like used in other places in the GUI.
Instead, rather just a text area in the browser settings, that way no extra persistent save button that quite some won't use is required in the restore dialogue.
A "protected" checkbox there would be great too so you don't need to set it as protected afterwards each time. Especially if that backup takes some time, you do somethung else meanwhile and then maybe forget it later and the backups gets purged by accident. I also tried to set it as protected while the backup is running but that won't work because the backup is locked until its finished.
The protected checkbox is there already?!

Under 7.2 I can not create new VMs. Likewise i can't start VMs that were created in prior versions. I see errors stating QEMU must be version 3.0
In which prior version and can you please post a (redacted) VM config and the exact errors would be great too, as else we can only do guess work...

No communication with WEB GUI after upgrade (mentioned by Rafuz) - problem with NFS share/QNAP/.
After delete NFS definition and restart - everything works perfectly

No communication with WEB GUI after upgrade (mentioned by Rafuz) - problem with NFS share/QNAP/.
After delete NFS definition and restart - everything works perfectly
A known issue: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#7.2-known-issues

There's also a proposed fix, but until so far we got no feedback:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/issue-after-upgrade-to-7-2-3.109003/page-2#post-468661

EDIT: Actually we got a single user that tested and gave positive feedback in the bug report, so moving this fix to no-subscription.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yanks
Hi there,
When I try to run `apt update && apt dist-upgrade` in a PVE7.1 server today, I got something wrong with the `pve-manager` configuration, and the `proxmox-ve` was not updated.
So I removed the `pve-manager` by running `apt purge pve-manager` and try to reinstall it again, but still the same problem.
Then I tried to 1) remove the `proxmox-ve`, `pve-cluster`, and `corosync`, 2) reboot after the removal, 3) reinstall it again. Still the same problem.
Would you please help me out? Please let me know if you need any further information.
Best,
liujason

Here is the latest proxmox-ve installation log:
Code:
root@PVE-US03-01:~# apt install proxmox-ve
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  corosync libpve-access-control libpve-cluster-api-perl libpve-guest-common-perl
  libpve-storage-perl librados2-perl proxmox-websocket-tunnel pve-cluster pve-container
  pve-firewall pve-ha-manager pve-manager qemu-server
Suggested packages:
  libpve-network-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  corosync libpve-access-control libpve-cluster-api-perl libpve-guest-common-perl
  libpve-storage-perl librados2-perl proxmox-ve proxmox-websocket-tunnel pve-cluster
  pve-container pve-firewall pve-ha-manager pve-manager qemu-server
0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 246 kB/4,097 kB of archives.
After this operation, 17.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bullseye/pve-no-subscription amd64 corosync amd64 3.1.5-pve2 [246 kB]
Fetched 246 kB in 0s (564 kB/s) 
Selecting previously unselected package corosync.
(Reading database ... 56488 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../00-corosync_3.1.5-pve2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking corosync (3.1.5-pve2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-cluster.
Preparing to unpack .../01-pve-cluster_7.2-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-cluster (7.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpve-access-control.
Preparing to unpack .../02-libpve-access-control_7.1-8_all.deb ...
Unpacking libpve-access-control (7.1-8) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpve-cluster-api-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../03-libpve-cluster-api-perl_7.2-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking libpve-cluster-api-perl (7.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package librados2-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../04-librados2-perl_1.2-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking librados2-perl (1.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpve-storage-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../05-libpve-storage-perl_7.2-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking libpve-storage-perl (7.2-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package proxmox-websocket-tunnel.
Preparing to unpack .../06-proxmox-websocket-tunnel_0.1.0-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking proxmox-websocket-tunnel (0.1.0-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libpve-guest-common-perl.
Preparing to unpack .../07-libpve-guest-common-perl_4.1-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking libpve-guest-common-perl (4.1-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-firewall.
Preparing to unpack .../08-pve-firewall_4.2-5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-firewall (4.2-5) ...
Selecting previously unselected package qemu-server.
Preparing to unpack .../09-qemu-server_7.2-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking qemu-server (7.2-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-ha-manager.
Preparing to unpack .../10-pve-ha-manager_3.3-4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-ha-manager (3.3-4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-container.
Preparing to unpack .../11-pve-container_4.2-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking pve-container (4.2-1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package pve-manager.
Preparing to unpack .../12-pve-manager_7.2-3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pve-manager (7.2-3) ...
Selecting previously unselected package proxmox-ve.
Preparing to unpack .../13-proxmox-ve_7.2-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking proxmox-ve (7.2-1) ...
Setting up corosync (3.1.5-pve2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/corosync.service → /lib/systemd/system/corosync.service.
Setting up proxmox-websocket-tunnel (0.1.0-1) ...
Setting up pve-cluster (7.2-1) ...
Job for pve-cluster.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pve-cluster.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Setting up libpve-access-control (7.1-8) ...
Setting up libpve-cluster-api-perl (7.2-1) ...
Setting up librados2-perl (1.2-1) ...
Setting up libpve-storage-perl (7.2-2) ...
Setting up pve-firewall (4.2-5) ...
Job for pve-firewall.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pve-firewall.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Setting up libpve-guest-common-perl (4.1-2) ...
Setting up pve-container (4.2-1) ...
Setting up pve-ha-manager (3.3-4) ...
watchdog-mux.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Job for pve-ha-lrm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pve-ha-lrm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Job for pve-ha-crm.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pve-ha-crm.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Setting up qemu-server (7.2-2) ...
Setting up pve-manager (7.2-3) ...
ipcc_send_rec[1] failed: Connection refused
ipcc_send_rec[2] failed: Connection refused
ipcc_send_rec[3] failed: Connection refused
Unable to load access control list: Connection refused
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pvedaemon.service → /lib/systemd/system/pvedaemon.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pveproxy.service → /lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/spiceproxy.service → /lib/systemd/system/spiceproxy.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pvestatd.service → /lib/systemd/system/pvestatd.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/pvebanner.service → /lib/systemd/system/pvebanner.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pvescheduler.service → /lib/systemd/system/pvescheduler.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/pve-daily-update.timer → /lib/systemd/system/pve-daily-update.timer.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/pvenetcommit.service → /lib/systemd/system/pvenetcommit.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/pve-manager.service → /lib/systemd/system/pve-guests.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pve-guests.service → /lib/systemd/system/pve-guests.service.
Job for pvestatd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pvestatd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
 installed pve-manager package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve:
 proxmox-ve depends on pve-manager; however:
  Package pve-manager is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for pve-ha-manager (3.3-4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-manager
 proxmox-ve
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Last edited:
Job for pve-cluster.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status pve-cluster.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Job for pve-firewall.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status pve-firewall.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Seems there is an issue with the cluster-filesystem - I'd guess though that it's not related to the 7.2 release:
* check your journal for errors (`journalctl -b`)
* search for the error-messages in google (I guess you'll find many threads in this forum with people fixing the issues)
* if this does not help - please open a new thread and provide the journal (and your findings) there

Reactions: Moayad
Seems there is an issue with the cluster-filesystem - I'd guess though that it's not related to the 7.2 release:
* check your journal for errors (`journalctl -b`)
* search for the error-messages in google (I guess you'll find many threads in this forum with people fixing the issues)
* if this does not help - please open a new thread and provide the journal (and your findings) there
Hi Stoiko,
Thanks for your suggestion.
After I check the journal, there is an error about ssh key error, after searching, turned out to be the DB file crushed, I moved /var/lib/pve-cluster to somewhere else and reinstalled `proxmox-ve` again, everything is good now.
I still have the backup file (in sql.gz format), I'll try to recover from it later.
Thanks again for your help!
Best,
liujason

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Nice work guys!

Definitely interested in the virtio-gl adapters. Does anyone know if windows drivers are out, and can you use a single video card for multiple VM's?

Does anyone know if windows drivers are out, and can you use a single video card for multiple VM's?
Windows driver do not exists in any stable fashion at the moment. There's some a bit dated project that tried to implement so, but it lost traction. https://gist.github.com/Keenuts/199184f9a6d7a68d9a62cf0011147c0b

It may get better once we can also have Venus (similar spirit to VirGL but instead of OpenGL Vulkan is being offloaded), but hard to say at the moment. In the end it's just way easier to adapt and extend free and open source software.

Reactions: adamb
I want to say thanks to all of the Proxmox staff, and contributors. My containers no longer stay locked after backups. This has been a big pain for a while now, and I'm so glad it's fixed!

Reactions: Spirog
Hi, sorry for the "stupid" question. When you write that the upgrade to the 7.2 release can be done by gui do you mean that it is possible to perform it using the iso without subscription turned on? Just wondering because I installed 7 days ago a 3 node 7.1.2 cluster that I was tuning and I would like to upgrade to the last release to continue my tests.
Kind regards

Last edited:
Notes templates for backup jobs (e.g. add the name of your VMs and CTs to the backup notes)
Is there a way to change the default note (format) for manually created backups via GUI? Currently it's set to: {{guestname}}

Changing notes-template (and storage) in /etc/vzdump.conf didn't affect the default setting at the GUI. Am I missing something or is it not supported at the GUI? :)

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the default note (format) for manually created backups via GUI? Currently it's set to: {{guestname}}

Changing notes-template (and storage) in /etc/vzdump.conf didn't affect the default setting at the GUI. Am I missing something or is it not supported at the GUI? :)
Not yet but I already asked for it (see the previous posts in this thread).

Reactions: KB19

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!