[SOLVED] Proxmox VE 6.3-2 - Console connection timeout, task type: vncproxy

imailuk

Jan 23, 2021
Hi,

This will be my first request for help regarding Proxmox VE, so please be gentle with a noob!

I have a brand new installation of 6.3-2 (latest build), and I have performed apt-get upgrade to get latest updates. However, this is my third attempt at a new build (previous was with 6.2 & 6.3), and the same issue persists (even on different hardware):

The current environment:
  • Clean build using downloaded .iso of Proxmox ve 6.3-2
  • Default settings (other than static IP and made up host.domain)
  • machine used to manage Proxmox (via browser) has hosts entry for the proxmox machine, and resolves host etc.
  • Server spec, 2x CPU (16 core/32 threads), 64GB ram, SSD for Proxmox OS/swap etc, & dual 1TB drives as ZFS Mirror (created in Proxmox)
  • apt-get upgrade applied
  • single .iso uploaded to .iso storage using web GUI
  • single VM defined via GUI (2cpu, 2GB ram etc), to be booted using uploaded .iso file (Ubuntu)
The problem:
  • Unable to display console of any VM.
  • Task viewer reports: VM.CT 100 - Console / Task Error: connection timed out
I understand this may be to do with the GUI being on port 8006, and the console (noVNC) not liking that! I have read of people employing nginx as a proxy, but unsure if that would help and how to employ this approach.

I am just starting out and want to use Proxmox rather than any alternative, but have no clue on how to fix the inability to see a VM console. This issue seems to be consistent with a new build from ISO, certainly from 6.2 onwards since that is where I started, and yet I cannot find the issue reported in this way in the forum - are you all able to get a console to a VM right out of the box (from the web GUI)?

Any help appreciated.

Update:

Have installed Firefox web browser and the console is working through that - phew, a relief. Digging deeper I see this is a Chromium/Chrome engine issue related SSL/Websockets - not a bug exactly, just the browser being super protective. Edge and Chrome use the same base engine (Chrome) now. So, any browser based on the same engine will report or fail due to the error below. Using Chrome, in the browser console (Developer mode) the error is:

failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

I'm using the self signed certs from vanilla install of Proxmox, and therefore triggering the HTTPS warning, invalid certificate. I'm guessing if I apply a signed cert to Proxmox, the problem will go away? Any thoughts on this before I return with the results?

what exact version do you have of chrome/chromium? what client os?
we use chromium/chrome here quiet often and i at least do not have a 'valid' certificate on my test machines, and i do not have problems using the console

you can try to apply a valid certificate (e.g. letsencrypt) and see if that helps

btw

apt-get upgrade
never use 'apt-get upgrade', please use 'apt-get dist-upgrade', as written in the docs: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_system_software_updates

Reactions: imailuk
I can confirm the problem here, I got a bunch of proxmox without letsencrypt (they don't have internet, no way).

The vnc console is:
- working fine with Firefox 87
- working fine with Chrome Embedded Framework 88
- does NOT work with Chrome 88
- does NOT work with Chrome 89

There must be something in Chrome security settings who is blocking web socket.

Reactions: imailuk
what exact version do you have of chrome/chromium? what client os?
we use chromium/chrome here quiet often and i at least do not have a 'valid' certificate on my test machines, and i do not have problems using the console

Hi dcsapak,
I would like to know what version of Chrome are you using with no websocket problem :)

I have the problem with Win7x64 + Chrome Version 89.0.4389.114 (Build officiel) (64 bits)
Look at the attached files for the WS problem in console:

Attachments

• PrtScr capture_5.png
    PrtScr capture_5.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 28
Okay, this is strange, I also test here with another Chrome version 89 + Win10x64, and this time the console is OK !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!