Proxmox VE 4.2 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We are proud to announce the final release of our Proxmox VE 4.2 with the new GUI.

The Sencha Ext JS 6 framework brings a modern 'flat design' look and feel to the Proxmox VE GUI with a reworked icon set providing consistency and an improved user experience.

Watch our short introduction video - What's new in Proxmox VE 4.2

This point release is based on latest and greatest Debian Jessie and a 4.4.6 Linux kernel, based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel.

We included as always countless bugfixes and small improvements like the ability to use Let´s Encrypt certificates.

Release notes
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_4.2

ISO Download
http://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads
Alternate ISO download:
http://download.proxmox.com/iso/

Upgrading
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads

Bugtracker
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

A big THANK-YOU to our active community for all feedback, testing, bug reporting and patch submissions.

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader

I have few questions.

1. What HA improvements are made in this release?
2. LXC 2.0 and LXD 2.0 support: it is not available in this release, do you have plans on when it is going to be available?

Thanks very much!!!

I was just fiddeling with creating a container with 14.04LTS, adding a secondary disk and updating the container to 16.04LTS.

As my container didn't start anymore, I tried to find any help in the forum. I saw this post, did the upgrade to 4.2, removed my secondary disk, created a new one vie the brand new interface, e voilà, everything is perfect now.

You made my day
Birger

Nice.

Quick question regarding upgrading from 4.1.

I usually like to image my boot drives before doing release upgrades "just in case", but I'm wondering, since I'm booting from a ZFS mirror in 4.1, if I were to take a recursive ZFS snapshot of rpool before starting the upgrade, and something broke when I upgraded, would restoring that snapshot bring me right back to my existing 4.1 environment?

Great Job. Wonderful/Wunderbar new GUI !!!!

Just a note : Arrange (up & down by) network device by Active, Autostart or Gateway (?) is not working. Name,Type, Ports/Slave, IP address or Subnet mask is ok.

We are proud to announce the final release of our Proxmox VE 4.2 with the new GUI.

Proxmox is becoming better and better!

It's time to give a try to 4.2 release.

Thank you all for great and hard work!

Christophe.

Great Job. Wonderful/Wunderbar new GUI !!!!

Just a note : Arrange (up & down by) network device by Active, Autostart or Gateway (?) is not working. Name,Type, Ports/Slave, IP address or Subnet mask is ok.

Please file a bug report at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com for this! Thank you.

I have few questions.

I will leave that on for the HA people to answer ;)

2. LXC 2.0 and LXD 2.0 support: it is not available in this release, do you have plans on when it is going to be available?

LXC 2.0 is planned soon, but the release was very recent and brought a lot of cgroup related changes that need testing before rolling out. LXD 2.0 does not make much sense for Proxmox - it is a container management utility, Proxmox manages the LXC containers on its own.

Thank you, will wait for HA people to to reply :)

I will leave that on for the HA people to answer ;)

LXC 2.0 is planned soon, but the release was very recent and brought a lot of cgroup related changes that need testing before rolling out. LXD 2.0 does not make much sense for Proxmox - it is a container management utility, Proxmox manages the LXC containers on its own.

Followed the upgrade process from 4.1 to 4.2, after update and dist-upgrade still on 4.1
The files in /boot directory are:
config-4.2.6-1-pve initrd.img-4.2.6-1-pve System.map-4.2.6-1-pve
efi memtest86+.bin vmlinuz-4.2.6-1-pve
grub memtest86+_multiboot.bin

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 4.1-26 (running kernel: 4.2.6-1-pve)
pve-manager: 4.1-1 (running version: 4.1-1/2f9650d4)
pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve: 4.2.6-26
lvm2: 2.02.116-pve2
corosync-pve: 2.3.5-2
libqb0: 0.17.2-1
pve-cluster: 4.0-29
qemu-server: 4.0-41
pve-firmware: 1.1-7
libpve-common-perl: 4.0-41
libpve-access-control: 4.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 4.0-38
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.5-2
vncterm: 1.2-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.4-17
pve-container: 1.0-32
pve-firewall: 2.0-14
pve-ha-manager: 1.0-14
ksm-control-daemon: 1.2-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-2+deb8u1
lxc-pve: 1.1.5-5
lxcfs: 0.13-pve1
cgmanager: 0.39-pve1
criu: 1.6.0-1
zfsutils: 0.6.5-pve6~jessie

What did I do wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you, will wait for HA people to to reply :)

So, there were some under the hood changes that make the whole HA stack more reliable/stable in some regards and less error prone on updating the whole cluster, most of these changes are for corner cases and such maybe not directly detectable by the users.

Further we enhanced our regression test system by adding virtual resources (e.g. the virtual version of a vm/ct) which also simulating failing, this helps finding regressions and also helped to assure that the HA stack could cope with those errors, which it did mostly already really well.

The status output from the ha-manager should be now less confusing, e.g. if the LRM needs to wait for its lock it is shown so that you do not have to wonder why both LRM and Service shows as started but nothing happened yet. Also if something is idle it will be shown as such, new service already added but not yet processed show up as "queued" and other similar small little changes.

As some may (hopefully) already know, the local resource manager (LRM) does things in parallels, this was previously set hard coded to 4 maximal parallel workers, now you can adapt those through the datacenter.cfg (in /etc/pve see man datacenter.cfg) and set a more fitted value for your setup, e.g. for mass live migrations on a setup with "only" a 1Gbps link for the migration and big, memory wise, VMs you should probably lower that value, for really good setups you also may want to increase it.

As mentioned above, the process of an package update was optimized to be faster and smoother, updating the whole cluster at once is now as safe as such an operation can be, my recommendation is as always update node per node and check if everything working. One failed node as a result of a upgrade can be bad, a whole cluster is a disaster, not that that happens often but our user have a really wide variety of hardware and setups/usecases.

Some preparation work for HW fencing took place, this is on our roadmap and we opted out pushing it for 4.2 as its a delicate matter where quickly rushing a release does more worse than good.

Some selected notable commits would be:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-ha-manager.git;a=commit;h=35cbb764afaa1b48a8977a8ce4619cbd4901ea9c
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-ha-manager.git;a=commit;h=660596ceb816abd8717c1079a48d50cd8e179bff
there are more, if really interested just read through the git log/package change log.

Reactions: chrone
Hi Tom,
DO you mean a valid subscription? No I dont. This is a test server at home a 2 node cluster running proxmox 4.1
DO I need t purchase a subscription for it to work?

Hi Tom,
DO you mean a valid subscription? No I dont. This is a test server at home a 2 node cluster running proxmox 4.1
DO I need t purchase a subscription for it to work?

The first line in the 4.x to 4.2 upgrade guide is:

Make sure that you have uploaded a valid subscription key to your Proxmox VE host.

So, yes, this means you need a valid subscription to access the stable repository.

In the link Tom posted above there is also a "Non-Subscription Repository". I imagine this will also work for upgrades, but keep in mind that this repository is slightly less stable than the Enterprise repository you gain access to with a subscription.

You have to add it manually by editing your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

It should be considered more stable than the pvetest repository, but not quite as stable as the enterprise repository.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!