Proxmox VE 1.9 released!

Hi there!

first at all i want to thank the Proxmox team for the good work! im proud to be using it!

i have 5 towers running... and before upgrading them all i tried with one of them first :) and i am having a strange situation... i have no idea if this is do to the upgrade, but since it's only happening with the VM's on the 1.9 environment it makes me think so...

the problem is:
starting the server after a power down everything works perfectly - but after a while all of the NIC's that are on my VMBR1 stop working... if i do a "ifconfig" inside the VM i see my NIC up&running but if i ping the broadcast addy only myself responds... restarting the network services on the VM get's the NIC running again, but not for long.

i did all the testing a could, all linux vm's seems to be working perfectly... i checked all the interconnections as well... does any body have any hints?

details:
the VM's in question are all RedHat with 2 Nic's one of them (VMBR0) works perfectly, the other one (VMBR1) does not... the only output i could find is:

" Oct 6 08:44:55 HOSTNAME kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out "
" Oct 6 08:44:55 HOSTNAME kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchtog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbits Full Duplex "

to me it seems like the NIC is up - but looses the connection at the other end... physically (switch, cables etc) are fine.

any hints? or idea's?

thank you...

ciairo.

post details about your VM (VMID.conf), what OS do you run? if you run virtio net, make sure you use the latest drivers.

Dear Tom,

i tried looking for the VMID.conf file but i could not find it...

the VM's are:

RedHat EL 3 with a 2.6.21-37 Kernel
1 CPU Socket
1 CPU Core
1024MB of Ram
IDE
50GB of *.raw disk
2x Intel e1000 NIC's on different VMBR's (one works the other gives me trouble)

anything else ?

thanks again,

ciairo

Dear Tom,

see /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf

the VM's are:

1 CPU Socket
1 CPU Core
1024MB of Ram
IDE
50GB of *.raw disk

anything else ?

thanks again,

ciairo

quite old, I have no experience with these system.

Dear Tom,

the VM's are:

1 CPU Socket
1 CPU Core
1024MB of Ram
IDE
50GB of *.raw disk

anything else ?

thanks again,

ciairo

...are you sure that the *physical* NIC (which that 'failing' vmbr is pointing to) still is operable when your VM's NIC failed?
It's just because we had some troubles with RHEL6-kernel, which Proxmox is based on with current release.
In case your physical NIC is also affected, it may be worth updating the driver to latest - this solved our issues for e1000e and igb...

our latest kernel uses the very latest e1000e (1.6.2-NAPI ) and also igb (3.2.9). so which driver did you upgrade, do which version?

our latest kernel uses the very latest e1000e (1.6.2-NAPI ) and also igb (3.2.9). so which driver did you upgrade, do which version?

ok, wasn't aware of that - i referred to RHEL6 (which runs 1.2.7/1.2.20 for e1000e)...
though it's imo still interesting to know whether physical NIC is affected...

Hey there!

after fighting with this issue for over 2 weeks i had to give up! there was nothing a could do to fix this network problem! so i had to backup - re-install the 1.8 version and restore everything! now the 1.8 has been up & runnung for 5 days with no problem what so ever! i did not change nothing on the VM's and alternated there settings.. so it is obvious that this issue was something with the 1.9 version is not right, i am using ProxMox in a professional production and want to keep using it - but i need some help on this one, i can't upgrade until then....

any ideas?

thank you - and wish you all a great start of the week.

any ideas?
I'm sorry but I didn't have something really useful but I think your thoughts about "something with version 1.9" seems right to mee. Did you take a look at the thread http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7330-VirtIO-Win2003-warnings-errors-reboots ? I can't see what kind off network drivers you're using but if you're running virtio drivers maybe you have the same issue like the one I've described at http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7318-WinXP-virtio-proxmox-1.9-gt-crash.

no, unfortunately this is not our problem! i also doubt that this error is a problem with the NIC, i tried the e1000 and the rtl8139 for kick's to see if it was the NIC. + i am running Linux machines not WIN.

my wild guess is that the 1.9 uses a kernel with a different version of Watchdog and after a not static interval sending the NIC's in timeout - it is really strange! because it occurs random and only on 1 typology of VMs... like i have mentions it drove me insane until the point of restoring a 1.8 environment - the real prob is that i can't upgrade until i solve this issue...

any other hints?

Ciairo

Hi there! i'm sorry if i am still nagging! ;) but i got news!

i have a server where i have the 1.9 to do testing for this issue! and listen to this... if i run the 1.9 using the older kernel (2.6.32-4.pve) my problem is gone! so i have to ask the person who patched the kernel to 2.6.32-6 what did he touch that could create this network issue Watchdog? Network functions? if he could send me both .config's id like to adapted and patch it myself, i understand that this option could not be possible - so in that case please work with me here :)

thank you

Ciairo

i have a server where i have the 1.9 to do testing for this issue! and listen to this... if i run the 1.9 using the older kernel (2.6.32-4.pve) my problem is gone! so i have to ask the person who patched the kernel to 2.6.32-6 what did he touch that could create this network issue Watchdog? Network functions? if he could send me both .config's id like to adapted and patch it myself, i understand that this option could not be possible - so in that case please work with me here :)

thank you

Ciairo

Please!

Thank you,
Ciairo

so i have to ask the person who patched the kernel to 2.6.32-6 what did he touch that could create this network issue Watchdog? Network functions?

2.6.32-4 is based on debian squeeze kernel
2.6.32-6 is based on RHEL61 kernel

You can find the config in the /boot/ directory.

i have a server where i have the 1.9 to do testing for this issue! and listen to this... if i run the 1.9 using the older kernel (2.6.32-4.pve) my problem is gone! so i have to ask the person who patched the kernel to 2.6.32-6 what did he touch that could create this network issue Watchdog?

Ciaro, your issue is most likely related to the kernel panic we've been experiencing with 2.6.32-6:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7118-Kernel-panic-with-2.6.32-6-and-multi-cpu-OpenVZ

According to the OpenVZ team, the bug has been found and the kernel patched:
http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2041

Hopefully the Proxmox devs will release a stable kernel with that patch soon, it's already in testing, called 2.6.32-6-pve_2.6.32-49.

Last edited:
Good Morning!

thank you for your post! !!! - yesterday i spend the hole day diff'ing the two .config's and trying to see if i can compile a kernel that fit's i was concentrating on the networking part - reading the posts posted and seeing the bugzilla post i'll have to re-look at everything!

we did not get any panics from this kernel! and we have several servers that are running 24/7 - besides of the networking issue the 1.9 with the 2.6.32-6 runs stable.... if you like you could post me the new release in test and i will try it out to see if that patch help's also in this situation.

thanks again!! + keep up the good work.

Ciairo

Hi,
for some reason i don't understand KSM is not working for me.

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have the same issue on two hosts I recently upgraded to 1.9.

host1:

host1:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-50
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-50
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

host1:~# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 12263176 6756768 5506408 0 269912 189720
-/+ buffers/cache: 6297136 5966040
Swap: 11534328 0 11534328

host1:~# cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing

host2:

host2:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-50
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

host2:~# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 8105780 6491120 1614660 0 196584 1985508
-/+ buffers/cache: 4309028 3796752
Swap: 4194296 0 4194296

host2:~# cat /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing

Both hosts have CentOS/RHEL guests.

A third host that I haven't updated yet and is running 2.6.35 kernel also with CentOS/RHEL guests has 280,000 shared pages.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
After a simple apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

Configurando vzctl (3.0.29-3pve1) ...Starting OpenVZ: failed to load module vzmon..failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript vz, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error al procesar vzctl (--configure):
el subproceso post-installation script devolvió el código de salida de error 1
dpkg: problemas de dependencias impiden la configuración de pve-manager:
pve-manager depende de vzctl (>= 3.0.23-1pve2); sin embargo:
El paquete `vzctl' no está configurado todavía.
dpkg: error al procesar pve-manager (--configure):
problemas de dependencias - se deja sin configurar
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
vzctl
pve-manager
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@ns383717:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: not correctly installed (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
vzctl: not correctly installed
vzquota: 3.0.11-1dso1

IDEAS?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!