[SOLVED] Proxmox v6 default ssh key in authorized_keys file

Nov 16, 2018
Belgium
Hello!

I just installed a proxmox v6. When I wanted to add my ssh key in authorized_keys file, I see that there is already one ssh key in it. Does the installation create one by default? If yes, what is the usage of it?

Thx!

Hello!

I just installed a proxmox v6. When I wanted to add my ssh key in authorized_keys file, I see that there is already one ssh key in it. Does the installation create one by default? If yes, what is the usage of it?

Thx!
Hi,
in a cluster of several nodes PVE relies on ssh to perform certain tasks, a working communication in-between the nodes is therefore essential.
This is why we share /etc/pve/priv/known_hosts as well as the keys via the pmxcfs [0] between the hosts.
The /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts is setup to symlink to /etc/pve/priv/known_hosts.
For a standalone node this does not really matter, but is setup anyway.
You can check the fingerprint by running ssh-keyscan -t rsa <hostname> and compare it if not sure.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pmxcfs

Hi Chris,

Thx for your answer. I only have one node. I used your command but the result is different. But I f I compare the content of the id_rsa.pub file and the one in the authorized_keys, they are identical.

Thx!
Ah yes, sorry ;) got carried away by the known_host while you were explicitly asking about the authorized_keys. Glad you already figured it out by yourself.

Reactions: lixaotec

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!