Proxmox v4 OpenVZ Alternative

I also suggest to leave maybe both LXC/LXD and Virtuozzo (when it's will be ready)
I believe that native support will be stable and better than GUI patches

I am not sure if you really know what you talk about. You already tested LXD (we do not use that at all) and Virtuozzo?

2. as for the Network isolation, I mean, give max of 10Mbps for each Container, so ddos attack in the container level not down all the other Containers at same node or even all the cabinet

We have/use tc, but that is no 100% isolation.

Hi, I tested Virtuozzo in the commercal version as part of the PCS and it's work well
I did only very quick overview with LXC

I have mainly OpenVZ containers on Proxmox 3.3 running. Can I backup these containers on 3.3 and restore them on 4.0 proxmox?

Hi, I tested Virtuozzo in the commercal version as part of the PCS and it's work well

We have to consider other things also - "works well" is a basic requirement, but other thinks makes it more or less
incompatible with our software and goals.

I did only very quick overview with LXC
Why is this even a discussion? Isn't Virtuozzo proprietary?

Everything you say Virtuozzo is better at already works with LXC in PVE4 beta...

FYI: the ddos prevention scenario you quote should be done on your router, not on the VM interface. If it reaches the virtual interface, then your physical interface is probably already drowning in traffic.

Hi Stewge,
1. virtuozzo v7 is Open source, you can see it here: http://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/7.0/x86_64/iso
2. it's can be additionally to the LXC, for example as SolusVM Virtualization gui support OpenVZ, Linux KVM, Xen Paravirtualization and Xen HVM
3. about the networking
a. the limit should be in both levels of switch and node
b. for automation vps provisioning, as many companies do, set BW on router level for each container is not so easy...

Regards,

What benefits would that bring to replace LXC with virtuozzo? Why should this be done? What are the drawbacks of LXC in your eyes?
I like the Choice of LXC ( and would welcome the possibility to have Docker containers as well but that is a whole different story :)

sC

Dockers got you covered. https://docs.docker.com/machine/

just use the generic driver. or make a proxmox one. i would not complain :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!