Proxmox - USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter Support?

ridgedale

Sep 25, 2023
Does anyone happen to know whether or not Proxmox VE 8.1 will automatically detect a display connected via a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter to allow the installation to be completed on a QNAP NAS that has no video output built-in?

I have the same question. My chassis change has caused me to have to go this direction.
I wanted to see if you tried it out and it worked or not?

Maybe the Startech brands ones would, I mean they are pretty popular and have good support but just a bit more expensive.

There are (at least) three possibilities:
  • DisplayPort - Works over any USB port but needs special drivers that you'll probably have to compile yourself.
  • USB Alt-Mode - Should "just work" on Linux
  • Thunderbolt - Should "just work" on Linux, but you might need to install the "bolt" package.
A QNAP with no GPU at all probably supports none of those. On top of that, don't many QNAP boxes have an ARM CPU? PVE isn't supported on ARM.

That being said, it is possible, or at least used to be possible, haven't done it in years, to install Debian using a serial console. You could then put PVE on top of that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!