Proxmox to much slow

S

sibtain

I have install Proxmox 1.9 today, After installing i add two KVM base VMs on this machine one is Centos and 2nd is Windows 2008 but the server load is going to much high,

My Server Stats,
E3-1275
16GB
300GB SAS 15k.7 with RAID 1 Adaptec 6805E

I have stop both VMs before taking this info,
pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 54401.36
REGEX/SECOND: 1320770
HD SIZE: 68.41 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 2.36 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 106.83 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 3.13
DNS EXT: 37.61 ms
DNS INT: 854.34 ms (salsabil.org)

proxmox:/var/lib/vz/template# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-root 69G 812M 65G 2% /
tmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 736K 9.3M 8% /dev
tmpfs 7.8G 0 7.8G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data 188G 13G 175G 7% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sda1 504M 35M 445M 8% /boot

Please help me what's going is wrong with this installation,

Hi,

your Buffered Reads & FSYNC / SECOND are a way to slow. Are you sure that your RAID1 is completely active / synched?

Proxmox will get the best performance with RAID10 - so you should add 2 more disks and build a RAID10.

Thanks for reply, how can i check that raid 1 is active and synched?

I do not use adaptec controllers so I do not have specific directions but most controllers have some sort of utility to check the array status. You can also likely check by rebooting and entering the adaptec bios.

If your raid 1 is still initializing that will hurt performance.
Some raid cards allow you to specify how aggressively the do background tasks like initializing, setting this lower would help with performance while that operation is running.

Hi,
the suggestion about rebuilding is right - but this takes not much time with an fast disk (SAS 15k) and raid 1...
Perhaps you should also look, if there something else make much IO on the disk.
iostat is the right tool:
Code:
apt-get install sysstat
iostat -dm 5 sda
All IO-Values are to low!
Reads must be over 100MB/s (with an good normal sata you get 120MB/s).
Seek-time must be app. the seek time of the disk - in your case 4ms?
FSYNCS depends on your raidcontroller and buffer-settings - some raidcontroller switch off the buffer without battery-backup (safety) but you can switch on the buffer to see the performance (and buy an BBU).
But like e100 - i don't use adaptec-raids, so you must find the raid-bios-settings yourself.

Udo

I have installed Adaptec Storage Agent on Current Node, Then connect it from our local machine and perform RAID 1 build/Fix , Its takes about 1 and half hour for complete this task, now i have again perform benchmark and its again showing slow read at the speed of 2MB/sec,

One thing i notice every time when i restart this machine and then perform benchmark its showing good results look below,

Please check below Stats,

proxmox:~# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 54392.92
REGEX/SECOND: 1344238
HD SIZE: 68.41 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 245.92 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 3.97 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 1592.43
DNS EXT: 69.58 ms
DNS INT: 1389.21 ms (salsabil.org)

proxmox:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing cached reads: 25526 MB in 2.00 seconds = 12778.21 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 512 MB in 2.01 seconds = 254.10 MB/sec

But after starting VMs and then performing installation on VMs this machine again showing slow read speed i don't now why this could happened? Is this Raid Controller problem or any other hardware issue? please lets us know so i will change that hardware,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!