Proxmox server now is able to email by-default?

Hey, I used to configure my proxmox server for sending emails using my own smtp server. I did that by following the steps written down in this thread. Now recently I have installed a fresh version of proxmox (latest version) and it seems like it is able to send emails out-of-the-box, right?

How does this work? What smtp server is used here?

How does this work? What smtp server is used here?

Check out the documentation for the new notification system [1].

For 'smtp' notification targets, Proxmox VE directly talks SMTP to the configured SMTP relay, without the involvement of the installed Postfix MTA. The other email-based notification target type, 'sendmail' uses the installed Postfix MTA and does whatever Postfix is configured to do (the old tutorial should still work for these targets) - which is the old default behavior, before Proxmox VE 8.1 was released.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_notifications

Reactions: Dunuin
Check out the documentation for the new notification system [1].

For 'smtp' notification targets, Proxmox VE directly talks SMTP to the configured SMTP relay, without the involvement of the installed Postfix MTA. The other email-based notification target type, 'sendmail' uses the installed Postfix MTA and does whatever Postfix is configured to do (the old tutorial should still work for these targets) - which is the old default behavior, before Proxmox VE 8.1 was released.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_notifications
Thanks for your reply, @Lukas Wagner . Please see the (default) target that is configured in my home server. This is the default setting. Please note, I'm a home-user (newby), so I may be missing knowledge here :).

But what email server does my proxmox server currently use, while sending email using sendmail?

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 13.18.16.png

Also, I don't have a "/etc/pve/notifications.cfg" file.
I think my quesiton is: "what is the default smtp relay server"?

There is no default relay :)
Postfix acts as a 'proper' MTA in its default config - if you e.g. send a mail to foo@example.com, it will look up example.com's MX record and will deliver the mail directly to that mail server.

Ok, learning a lot here!
Does this mean that the MX records of my domain are "open up" for everybody to use?
I have a fastmail account and I guess that postfix uses my domain's MX records to send the mail.

But I don't get the part that it doesn't need some kind of authentication.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!