Proxmox run selected VM's trough a VPN

Smid1980

Aug 26, 2023
So my situation/need is as follows:

I have a proxmox server that is going to run 16 VMs.
The first 8 VMs can run on my own network and have my public IP (with each their own portforwarding in my router for public access)
The other 8 VMs need to use a different public IP, namely the IP at my parents house where each VPN needs to get ports via UPNP from their router.

I can set up a wireguard VPN server at my parents house.

Now here is the catch:
The 8 VM's can not individually run the VPN connector software.
This means that i need to have some sort of solution where all 8 VM's connect to a separte virtual network maybe and create a new VM as a host for the VPN connector software to run on?
Is that even possible?

It would be amazing if somebody could help me with some how-to's or documentation on this usecase.

Thanks in advace

Last edited:
I think the limitation comes from WireGuard, which requires you to specify a static IP for each connection. You can't have all 8 of your machines with the same IP. I believe if you set up 8 different connections and assign them to each VM, it might work. Or you could try testing with OpenVPN, which doesn't have this limitation.

Hello,
I think you need a site-to-site tunnel to connect your 8 vms to your parents' network.
I have never implemented such a solution but I think you would have to set up a vm with a Wireguard server on your Proxmox and create a site-to-site tunnel to the remote router. The traffic of the 8 vms will then have to be routed towards the tunnel.
Maybe this documentation could be useful to you : https://www.buff0k.co.za/tutorial/wireguard-debian-11

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!