Proxmox repeatedly freezes/crashes requiring reboot

biotecher

Jul 29, 2021
I have recently setup a Proxmox server on one of those HP mini PCs. Nothing is different in the way I set it up on a bigger PC, but this one keeps irreparably crashing for some reason, frequency might be after a few hours, or more recently after a few days after I limited the cores in use by my 2 VMs to match the thread count of the CPU (it worked fine going over on the bigger PC though, thoroughly stable). After it crashes, when I try to access the web page it just keeps spinning the circle, can't login or access anything. The bigger Proxmox server has been left on for many months now 24/7 without issue. Previously the mini Proxmox server would stay on until I shut it down when it was running some VMs. Can't tell if an update broke it or not. I do not know how to troubleshoot or where to pull the logs for this kind of problem, wondering if I could get help here.

More info would be helpful:
  1. What are the exact and complete hardware specs?
  2. Did you have a look in the syslog? Something noticeable there?
  3. What is the output of: pveversion -v?
  4. Is the bios/UEFI and all firmwares (e.g. SSD(s)) up-to-date?
  5. Did you already run a memtest?
  6. Did you already extensively (stress-)test this hardware with other OSs? Did they behave the same?
You could install the microcode-package [1] to see if it already helps. Should not hurt anyway.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Microcode

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!