Proxmox, pfSense and routing…

schnax

Sep 28, 2023
Hello all,

I have a network setup that includes multiple Proxmox servers and a virtualized pfSense firewall. I've configured a VPN via pfSense to access my local network remotely. While I can successfully connect to the VPN and access certain devices, I'm facing issues when trying to access my Proxmox servers.

Setup:​

• Proxmox Server 1: 192.168.1.102
  • Proxmox Server 2: 192.168.1.103
  • pfSense Firewall: 192.168.1.1
  • pfSense firewall 2: 192.168.1.2
  • VPN Network: 10.0.8.0/24

What Works:​

• Successful VPN connection.
  • Full access to other devices on the network (e.g., 192.168.1.5, 192.168.1.6).
  • Access to the pfSense web interface.

What Doesn't Work:​

• Unable to access both Proxmox servers (192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.103).
  • Cannot access the Proxmox interfaces on either of the two hosts.
Additional Info:

• Both Proxmox servers have multiple network cards for WAN and LAN.
  • The pfSense firewall also has two network cards, one for WAN and one for LAN.
  • I can access VMs that are exclusively on the LAN without any issues.

What I've Tried:​

• Checked and adjusted firewall rules in pfSense.
  • Added routes in pfSense.
  • Verified that packets are successfully routed from the VPN to the LAN.
  • Checked IP forwarding settings on the Proxmox servers.
When I am directly connected to both firewalls, packets are successfully routed from one to the other. I'm uncertain if the issue is related to Proxmox, pfSense, or the VPN setup itself.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

1698598201177.png

1698598530465.png

1698598876586.png
If you want me to provide additional information to solve the problem, please let me know and I will do it!

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Hi schnax,

It looks like your Proxmox nodes don't know how to route back network traffic coming from 10.0.8.0/24.

Could you verify if there is a (static) route present on your Proxmox nodes for the VPN network?

Last edited:
Reactions: schnax

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!