Proxmox OS on single SSD

elkondor

Renowned Member
Jan 20, 2010
Italy
www.opensupport.it
i need ti upgrade some old PVE install (some homelab that run H24), on occasion I would like to upgrade hw.
now i have serverraid 5014 controller raid1 for system , raid1 for vm.
i backup VM and config system file on a NAS.

I think to put proxmox OS on single SSD (good consumer ssd) and to maintain raid for VM.
ssd contain template iso or other.

but OS need more write on ssd? I don't want to destroy primary disk...
hazard?

tnks.

but OS need more write on ssd? I don't want to destroy primary disk...
hazard?

SSDs are pretty write durable, we have some >5 year old consumer SSDs here still running smoothly (albeit the wearout is at 205 now).
But naturally having a single disk, consumer or not, is always a single point of failure. But as long as you backup the VM configs, or at best the whole /etc/pve and have backups of the VMs, you can be up and running pretty fast again if that OS disk failed but the RAID is still good. As you could reinstall PVE, restore the relevant configs and start the guests again.

So, possible problematic? yes, but as long as you have some (tested!) backup strategy on another offsite storage you'll be fine.

Ah, that's the question...
Now, that's why one should not use SSDs from the same production batch in a RAID, as those have often very similar lifetimes.
If you have a spare disk you can start to re-silver immediately and so get out of the "danger zone" faster.

But yes, more redundancy is better, be it through something like a RAID-Z2 where theoretically two disks can fail or through offsite backups - which allow all to fail and still not being completely lost :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!