Proxmox + opnsense with Wifi adapter

Dilby

Jan 23, 2020
I am virtualization Opnsense on Proxmox by passing through two ethernet ports as bridges to the guest VM. One port is configuered as WAN and the other an LAN. Everything is working as it should be.

I have a second broadband connection that I want to incorporate as a failover, but no spare ethernet port on the machine so wondering if I am able to connect to the 2nd broadband router over Wifi and pass that through somehow to the opnsense VM ?

I've seen mixed messages whether this is possbile or not.

Thanks

Well, PVE does not support WIFI out of the box. But once you managed to set it up you should be able to create a bridge with the wifi device as bridge port. You might have to do it manually in the /etc/network/interfaces file though if the naming scheme of the wifi adapter is not recognized by the PVE tooling.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!