[SOLVED] Proxmox on OVH bare metal server

allocacoc

Nov 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a OVH bare metal server:
  • Intel Xeon-E 2136 x6 core 3.3GHz
  • 128GB DDR4 ECC RAM
  • 3x 1TB NVMe with no raid controller
I would like to switch from Ubuntu 18.04 and Virtualbox to Proxmox. OVH provides 3 ready configurations for proxmox:
  • Proxmox 5 VE (3x soft RAID 1)
  • Proxmox 5 VE ZFS
  • Proxmox 6 VE (3x soft RAID1)
I read a lot about soft RAID and Proxmox and the absolute need to avoid it. Some suggests - in absence of a hard RAID - to install Proxmox with ZFS to gain the most reliable redundancy. I am not familiar with Proxmox and ZFS, but it seems to me that I should choose Proxmox 5 with ZFS to avoid as much as possible inconsistency in case of sudden power outage.

In your opinion, is that the best choice I can make right now to have a reliable Proxmox virtualization server?

Yes, I never used it, but I know it is possible using IPMI. So, your suggestion is to use Proxmox 6.2 custom ISO and choose a 3 disk array ZFS during installation?

Exactly.

Proxmox VE 5 is at end of life. Therefore, you would have to upgrade immediately after the installation. Uploading a custom ISO should be less work.
Furthermore, ZFS is well integrated into Proxmox VE. This also includes the installer. There is a dropdown and you just click on ZFS Mirror and choose your 3 disks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!