Proxmox No Internet, VM's have internet

MaxTheSpy

Jul 12, 2022
I recently moved my server from one location to another and plugged it in, It runs just fine, I have no internet and can not ping in or out of proxmox and no ability to access the web ui. The virtual machines inside of proxmox that start at boot both have internet access and I can connect to them just fine, both via web UI and SSH. Is there anything I need to check? Does it automatically swap network?

I recently moved my server from one location to another and plugged it in, It runs just fine, I have no internet and can not ping in or out of proxmox and no ability to access the web ui. The virtual machines inside of proxmox that start at boot both have internet access and I can connect to them just fine, both via web UI and SSH. Is there anything I need to check? Does it automatically swap network?
I also had the same problem

Does it automatically swap network?

No.
If your network/subnet changed, you need to adapt your /etc/network/interfaces. Either by logging in locally or by setting your client temporarily to the old subnet.

Edit: With an changed IP address of the host, you also need to adapt /etc/hosts.

Last edited:
emm how about this way
vim /etc/resolv.conf
add:nameserver 8.8.8.8 in resolv.conf

DO NOT Forget systemctl restart network.service
I tried this all and couldnt get it to work. Fortunatly It was a relitively fresh install so I reinstalled proxmox within the new network and it set it up for me, Ill install proxmox on my micropc to play with if I ever need to move it again. Thank you for your help.

I tried this all and couldnt get it to work. Fortunatly It was a relitively fresh install so I reinstalled proxmox within the new network and it set it up for me, Ill install proxmox on my micropc to play with if I ever need to move it again. Thank you for your help.
That sounds good.man

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!