[SOLVED] Proxmox iSCSI boot fails with kernel 5.x

deathblade

Dec 19, 2021
Switzerland
Hi there !

After two weeks of testing a lot of solutions, I come here to maybe get an answer about my issue.

I use proxmox from v4 and now I have two Synology rs2421+ in HA mode for storage and I want to make my new three hypervisors boot over iSCSI.

MY stuff :

Hosts :
- MB Asrock Rack X470D4U
- CPU AMD 5900X
- RAM 2x 32 Gb Kingston ECC UDIMM
- Intel x520-DA2 dual SFP+ 10Gb converged network adaptor

Storage :
- Synology rs2421+
- Synology E10G21-F2 10 Gb network card

I tried this tutorial : Proxmox iSCSI Installation which works very good with Debian Stretch and Proxmox 5.
Updating to PVE 6 with kernel 5.x leads to a boot fail. Same error with PVE 7.

I tried this same tutorial with Debian Bullseye, Proxmox v7 boots only with stock kernel, using pve-kernel leads to a boot fail.

I tried to install directly Proxmox v7 to Iscsi target using installation in debug mode with iscsistart, boot fail with same error. But it boots nicely with Debian stock kernel.

The error is about iscsi_ibft module which crashes with "Unable to set fw entries" error.
There is another recurring error about ixgbe module "HW init error -12" at boot start.

Even with ISCSI_AUTO=true, it seems iscsi_ibtf cannot get target informations to connect. Entering manually the target settings in /etc/iscsi/iscsi.initramfs didn't solve the issue.

In all cases, a fresh Debian installs boots perfectly with Stretch, Buster or Bullseye. Same for Proxmox 5.
But if I try the same with Proxmox 7, it works only if I use the Debian stock kernel.
In all cases, error is the same.

Is someone have this issue too ?

Best regards
Seb

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!