Proxmox for VR development

aandryyy

May 24, 2022
I currently need two different workstations for VR development with different software versions that cannot coexist without creating issues ( thanks Microsoft ).
Unfortunately, I just have one workstation and I thought of using proxmox and 2 VM to solve my issues. The 2 VM will never be used at the same moment.

I do not need any type of graphic acceleration in the host.
My hardware configuration is:
  • intel i7-12700k, so no integrated GPU
  • RTX 3080 + display port dummy plug because I currently use it as a remote workstation
Will I be able to passthrough my GPU and USB 3.2 without problems? ( the port I need for the VR headset )
I'll also need to be in the same LAN network as other PCs, is it a problem with a VM?

Thanks

Andrea

Will I be able to passthrough my GPU and USB 3.2 without problems? ( the port I need for the VR headset )
In general yes, but you have to try if your hardware supports everything and is stable. Please check the wiki.

I'll also need to be in the same LAN network as other PCs, is it a problem with a VM?
No, each VM has it's own MAC so everything should just run fine.

Also keep in mind that virtual USB passthrough isn't great and not all motherboards got IOMMU groups that will allow you to pasthrough the entire USB controller via PCI passthrough. So you maybe need to buy a USB 3.2 controller PCIe card and then use it with PCI passthrough too like you do it with the GPU.

All hardware seems compatible (an Alienware r13 ), so I installed proxmox and created my base VM. GPU passthrough works great.
Now I'll just create a checkpoint, the 2 VM I need and make backups.
I'll let @Dunuin know how well USB 3.2 passthrough works as soon as I connect my VR headset.

PS.
USB passthrough works, but not at the needed speed. I also have an option with the Oculus Quest 2 of using Air Link but it doesn't work either. For now, it's not a problem but as soon as I'll start testing with other headsets it will be. No idea why it doesn't work :/ .

Last edited:
USB passthrough works, but not at the needed speed. I also have an option with the Oculus Quest 2 of using Air Link but it doesn't work either. For now, it's not a problem but as soon as I'll start testing with other headsets it will be. No idea why it doesn't work :/ .
Not every controller works well. I also tried a few external USB 3.1 controllers and finally found one that worked with decent speed: StarTech USB controller.

Has anyone had success using the Quest 2 with a Proxmox VM recently? I am trying to get it to work with air link, which should avoid all the pitfalls of USB controllers and whatnot, but I am getting three dots and "Oculus isn't working properly" when trying to use it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!