Proxmox execute command

x86

Aug 19, 2014
Dear,

Again a few problems with the API. I am unable to send shell commands to the proxmox host via the API.
i.e.
PHP:
$aCommands = array
(
    'pct exec ' . $iVMID . ' -- ls -al /'
);

var_dump ( $pApi->post ( '/nodes/' . $sNodeName . '/execute', array ( 'commands' => json_encode ( $aCommands ) ) ) );

The result will be:
array(1) {
[0]=>
array(2) {
["status"]=>
int(500)
["message"]=>
string(96) "pct exec 106 -- ls -al / is not a valid command at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Nodes.pm line 352.
"
}
}

Executing this command via putty works like a charm.

I cant also change special config vars of my LXC container via the API, i.e.
lxc.aa_profile: lxc-custom-mounts

Can someone help? Thanks.

Again a few problems with the API. I am unable to send shell commands to the proxmox host via the API.

The "/nodes/<NodeName>/execute" API call allows you to execute multiple API calls at once. It is not meant to execute arbitrary shell commands. I guess you should use ssh if you really want to do that.

What do you want to do exactly? Execute shell commands inside containers?

What do you want to do exactly? Execute shell commands inside containers?

Ok thanks for the information. I created a script which deploys new LXC for customers. I did configure a CIFS share mount via DAB within the template (thats why I need to use the special config var; 'lxc.aa_profile: lxc-custom-mounts'). After creation I need to do a post deployment (install specific software for the customer, that's why I want to execute a script inside the container.

I also want to execute commands inside a container via the api. Is there an other solution than establishing an ssh connection to the node?

I also want to execute commands inside a container via the api. Is there an other solution than establishing an ssh connection to the node?

Currently not. But I would directly connect (ssh) to the container instead.

Yes, but i dont know the password since i am using this api for client vms. I only want to be able to enable root login with password after creating a container. I want to execute the replace command on the host therefore

I also looked for a solution. Because some of the default images for containers contain only root accounts. A direct container ssh is only possible after adding an additional user (or enabling ssh for root). So in my ansible automation I just want to add a user to the container via the proxmox api after creating a new container. Currently I have to do it via the "console" manually or using the "pct exec" command via ssh, ...

I also looked for a solution. Because some of the default images for containers contain only root accounts. A direct container ssh is only possible after adding an additional user (or enabling ssh for root).

We added a new parameter called "--ssh-public-keys" to the the api/cli, see

# pct help create

I thought this solves the problem with ansible?

No it "only" adds ssh_keys from a file to the root account. At least I didn't manage to add keys to another account within the container. And if I got it right on command line, not via the api.

Last edited:
Yes, it only adds the keys to the root account. The rest is up to your automation tools ;)

Reactions: Philipp Page
Hello,
I need to execute a shell command in node via API to delete the rrdcached file "/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve2-vm" for VM when i delete the VM because i have the old stats for a VM which is replaced with another (same ID).
Any suggestion to solve this problem ?

Please note that those statistics are replicated to all cluster nodes, so you would need to remove them on all nodes.

i don't have a cluster between nodes, i like just to fond a way to delete the rrdcached file when i remove a VM.
It's possible ? or i must change the API code ? thanks

Please note that those statistics are replicated to all cluster nodes, so you would need to remove them on all nodes.
i don't have a cluster between nodes, i like just to fond a way to delete the rrdcached file when i remove a VM.
It's possible ? or i must change the API code ? thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!