Proxmox does not show console after booting

cyb9x

Apr 11, 2023
Hello,

I installed my proxmox on my machine a few days ago, and everything seemed to go well, but during boot it showed just a few lines, and then the display freezed. In the background, it actually works, as I have access to the WebUI console, and I can "blindly" write my username/password, and by typing "reboot" it actually reboots. But I want to have access to the console on the machine itself, not only via remote ssh.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS TUF x570 PRO WIFI II
NVidia RTX 3060 x2
Kingston KSM32ED8 x4

I've tried adding "nomodeset" to /etc/default/grub, but it didn't change a thing.
I'm quite a beginner so I'd appreciate any ideas that can solve this issue.

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-11 at 19.28.31.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this didn't work

Something I forgot to add is that I passed through my (then single) GPU to a Windows VM. And as Ryzen 5950x doesn't have integrated graphics to render the proxmox console, is this a possible reason why this happens? I also have another RTX 3060 which I wanted to pass through to another VM, but can it be used to display the console first?

I'm not sure if I understand what happens with the video output of proxmox when I don't have a dedicated gpu for it..

Did you use the work-around for passing through the boot/single GPU?
Yes, I had to use the fix_gpu_pass.sh script from that thread with crontab.

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:09\:00.0/remove # 0000:09:00.0 GPU in my case
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

Previously, in my /etc/default/grub, I had:
Bash:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt nomodeset video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off"

But then I started to remove parameters, as I was trying to debug this issue. Now all all I have left is the script + this grub:
Bash:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on"
For which the GPU is passed through beautifully, but the console is still missing..

Last edited:
any updates on this? I'm on the same boat
I've disabled autostart on all my VM's, and removed any PCI passthrough I had for the VMs
But the console still doesn't show on my host

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!