[SOLVED] Proxmox does not see EFI Disk when Converting Server 2019 VM BIOS from Default to UEFI

WeakenedSoul

Jul 23, 2021
Hey guys, new to Proxmox and hoping to get some help. This VM has been running fine as a Plex and File server. I just got a GPU (Quadro P2200) and I am trying to setup GPU passthrough on my Server 2019 VM. Server is a Dell R730xd with 2680v3s which I know support this. All the documentation I have found has said to change the BIOS from Default (SeaBIOS) to OVMF (UEFI) and also change Machine to Q35. I have also create an EFI disk. When I do this the VM is no longer able to boot and just comes up to the EFI shell where I can access the Boot Manager etc. but if I go in to add a boot device or look at the current ones, the UEFI disk I created is not visible. On another note all my storage is ZFS (for Proxmox host and VMs). Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated!

Here is the current VM conf

agent: 1
balloon: 2048
bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;net0
cores: 8
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-102-disk-0,size=1M
ide0: Storage:vm-102-disk-0,size=120G
machine: pc-q35-5.2
memory: 8192
name: Server2019
net0: virtio=7E:88:80:FA:7E: D3,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=97508687-7993-438e-bf56-3b4b0f412ec0
sockets: 2
startup: order=2
usb0: host=1058:25fb,usb3=1
vmgenid: 6fe6bcb0-9ee4-463f-98a3-68fffcb97ced

Last edited:
Update:

I ended up getting everything working. I had to use mbr2gpt to convert the system to GPT then deleted the System reserved partition and created a new efi partition, formatted and assigned it a drive letter using diskpart. After doing this I had to use bcdboot to copy the required EFI boot files from my windows directory to the new EFI partition (I had to use the /f /UEFI flag as this did not work the first time without it). After doing all this I still booted into the EFI shell but was then able to create a new boot option with the new EFI partition.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!