Proxmox & Debian blank screen on install

Will be able to test on Monday.
But by default this option is already disabled (see attachement). I'll test it with enabled...
I'll test standard debain buster iso to check if it's the same problem.
If so I'll try to open a ticket with Supermicro too.

Attachments

• iKVM_capture (6).jpg
    iKVM_capture (6).jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 74
Above 4G was already disabled...tried enable with same blank screen.
I tried Debian Buster installer and it's working well.

One funny thing.... I burned a cd and used an usb cd player for the installer....
Same bug black screen.... I let the server like that because busy on other thing....and when I came back after a while the GUI was here.
Maybe more than 30 minutes after boot.
Didn't tried yet with the usb key.

Ok tested multiples time.... Installer GUI come after around 30 minutes. Cd or usb key.

In case anyone else runs into this, I was able to get the 6.0 installer to run by putting the video card in a different PCI slot. My hardware had no motherboard video output so this was the only option. However after that I ran into the issue where the video is cut off on the right side of the screen, this required using a different monitor and changing the scaling mode from "wide" to "auto." Hth anyone in the future, along with the above suggestion to wait 30 minutes (did not try that myself).

Hi,

I don't have this issue but just offering if perhaps toggling your Plug-and-Play in BIOS to see if it helps.

Thanks for the hint.
I tried nomodeset (was using it before on my other v5 installation in default/grub)
nomodeset during installer didn't give a black screen and give an installation abort...
So i diged a bit further...
with lshw -c video give :
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Iris Pro Graphics P580
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:55 memory:dd000000-ddffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: ASPEED Graphics Family
vendor: ASPEED Technology, Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
version: 30
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi vga_controller cap_list rom
configuration: driver=ast latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:de000000-deffffff memory:df000000-df01ffff ioport:d000(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

By default in the bios there for graphic configuration primary display si set to PCIex.
I tried IGFX (see attached screen) and now installer boot perfectly.
And it seem I don't need nomodeset anymore in default grub.
Does it mean that there is two integrated graphics in my motherboard? and a wrong one can be selected by installer or at boot?

Attachments

• iKVM_capture (15).jpg
    iKVM_capture (15).jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 63
Well there you go! After waiting 35-40 minutes, the GUI showed. How very strange!

Had the same problem last weekend. Tried to install latest PVE 6, but gave me the mentioned black screen. My workaround was installing PVE 5 first, then did a dist-upgrade. Everything working smooth and well. Before I was running PVE 4 and PVE 5 on the same machine and I never had this behaviour before. So, I did a test installation on two other machines. Here my results:

- HP ProLiant ML110 G6: No problem installing PVE 6, no black screen
- HP ProLiant Microserver G8: same, no problem installing PVE 6, no black screen
- DIY Server with Supermicro X11SS-LN4F board: black screen with PVE 6. No problems with PVE 4 and PVE 5

The servers have no dedicated graphics card (the HP ones have a built in Matrox card I think, according to the manual the supermicro uses the ASPEED AST2400 for video output), and the latest BIOS and iLO or IPMI Updates.

I had the same problem. My solution was to deactivate the Intel GPU on the CPU. The output will work with AST2400.

Hi,

On the Proxmox install boot menu, highlight 'Install Proxmox' and then press 'e'

On the screen that appears delete 'quiet splash = silent' and in it's place type 'nomodeset' then press F10

Your install should then continue without dropping to a black screen.

P.

Reactions: adamli
Hi,

On the Proxmox install boot menu, highlight 'Install Proxmox' and then press 'e'

On the screen that appears delete 'quiet splash = silent' and in it's place type 'nomodeset' then press F10

Your install should then continue without dropping to a black screen.

P.

This worked for me...as well as updating the BIOS.

Reactions: Finbester
I also hit this today, proxmox 6.2 on USB boot. I see the initial stuff, I see the mode switch, but after that I get greeted by a black screen.
I haven't waited the 30 mins yet - will do that later - and also re-check the bios settings.

CPU is a Xeon E3-1230v5 (no GPU), external Nvidia GPU added. Bios GPU is set on Pcie.
Board is an Asrockrack C236M WS

Last edited:
I also hit this today, proxmox 6.2 on USB boot. I see the initial stuff, I see the mode switch, but after that I get greeted by a black screen.
I haven't waited the 30 mins yet - will do that later - and also re-check the bios settings.

CPU is a Xeon E3-1230v5 (no GPU), external Nvidia GPU added. Bios GPU is set on Pcie.

I was able to resolve this by using a different PCIe slot for the graphics card. Maybe that solution is unique to the Z420 as I haven't tested on another system.

I was able to resolve this by using a different PCIe slot for the graphics card. Maybe that solution is unique to the Z420 as I haven't tested on another system.

Unfortunately I have only 1 pcie 16x slot.

Switched GPU to "onboard" - no difference
Switched 4gb decoding to disabled - no difference
Tried nomodeset - installer won't start

Is there any way to install this from the cli?

Good question about CLI, would like to know that as well (or we can provide a config file on the install media and it can just auto-install).

Ok, nothing I tried made me get a screen output. So I installed it via X export:

Requires that you have a host somewhere that still runs Xorg

on Proxmox installer:
- boot, change to vt1, hit ctrl-c to interrupt the installer
- make sure you've got an IP (or configure it manually)

On your other device, first make sure Xorg listens to TCP connections. The command line should list -listen tcp

Bash:
ps -ef | grep Xorg
root        1226    1213  0 May16 tty7     00:07:54 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -listen tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{ff1da17a-3456-4472-8a1e-ad4b2e
5f7321} -background none -noreset -displayfd 17 -seat seat0 vt7

Check with allow X connections from everywhere - this is not secure! (but for my 10 mins I didn't care)
Bash:
xhost +

On Proxmox:
Bash:
export DISPLAY=<ip of your other thing>:0.0
G_SLICE=always-malloc /usr/bin/proxinstall

and Tadaa, you can go ahead installing it.

Last edited:
2020 almost end and I'm facing the same issue. As I've got quite busy day - I will start with waiting 30 mins first, as this is the least effort to get it fixed as far as I can see.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!