Proxmox CEPH and VM cluster network configuration

tuathan

May 23, 2020
I have got 5 nodes with 2 physical NICs connected on each. I have assigned each node (management) a public IP address on my network (10.140.79.X) using the default Proxmox setup and created a Cluster.

I plan to create a second bridge for private network for VMs. I also want to install CEPH to use pooled storage (OSDs) for VMs (hyperconverged): https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Deploy_Hyper-Converged_Ceph_Cluster

-- My question is which networks should use each of the 2 physical NICs and how should I define the network settings? Can I put everything on one NIC?

Also I have read in the above link:

"Public Network: You should setup a dedicated network for Ceph, this setting is required. Separating your Ceph traffic is highly recommended, because it could lead to troubles with other latency dependent services, e.g., cluster communication may decrease Ceph’s performance, if not done. "

-- But how do I do this in practice? How should I assigne IP addresses to CEPH on each node?

-- Is it easy to change all the CEPH network configuration if I decide to change at a later date?

Thanks

-- My question is which networks should use each of the 2 physical NICs and how should I define the network settings? Can I put everything on one NIC?
None. Your servers need more NIC ports. Ceph public & cluster, VM traffic, corosync (best two interfaces) and maybe some extra for migration, backups or management.

-- But how do I do this in practice? How should I assigne IP addresses to CEPH on each node?
Through the default debian network configuration.

-- Is it easy to change all the CEPH network configuration if I decide to change at a later date?
Well this depends on your knowledge. But to say the least, it is not as straight forward.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!