Proxmox Boot failure

hamzaweslati

Dec 7, 2022
hi all ,

i have Proxmox Ve 7.2 install into usb 3.2 32G , and i have 3 VMS install into hard drive raid controleur raid 5
so today i cannot boot to pve . i check the usb is destroyed (broken )
so i want to ask if someone can help me about this issues
i can reinstall the proxmox on other usb without losing the VMs

what is the steps i can do fo solve this ?

best regard

You shouldn't install PVE to a USB stick/SD card. PVE writes a lot and will kill that USB stick in no time, as these are missing the wear leveling and durability. A USB HDD or USB SSD (or M.2 SSD in a USB enclosure) would be fine.

When reinstalling PVE to a new USB SSD/HDD your VMs will still not run, as VMs consists of two things. The virtual disks on your raid5 and the config files on your failed USB stick. And you lost the config files as these were only stored on the usb stick in "/etc/pve/qemu-server/". So in case you didn't backup the VMs or "/etc/pve/qemu-server/" folder you would need to create new VMs from scratch, matching the old VMs configs s close as possible and then add the virtual disks of your old VMs to the new VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!