Proxmox Backup Server vs Integrated backup into PVE?

devinacosta

Aug 3, 2017
So currently I am using Proxmox 6.2 on all my clusters. I have a Synology NAS unit that provides me over 60TB of NFS storage that I use to place the backups nightly onto. I use the integrated backup product that has been in PVE for a very long time. I've been very happy with the new ZST backup algorithm as it has saved me a lot of space on my NAS already.

Questions:

#1: Will Proxmox continue to work on the Integrated version of the Proxmox Backup solution that has existed for a long time now? Or will Proxmox attempt to kill that off sometime in the future?

#2: With Users who only have a NFS/NAS solution to store backups onto, will there be much benefit to using the new Backup Server vs the Integrated one?

#1: Will Proxmox continue to work on the Integrated version of the Proxmox Backup solution that has existed for a long time now?

Yes.

Or will Proxmox attempt to kill that off sometime in the future?

No. Even when using the new Proxmox Backup Server you still use "vzdump", it's just integrated as seamless (highly efficient) target storage.

With Users who only have a NFS/NAS solution to store backups onto, will there be much benefit to using the new Backup Server vs the Integrated one?

Deduplication, incremental backups especially with the fast variant for dirty-bitmaps can still be a very good enhancement.
You're a bit limited with the network, but else I see no real drawback.

Hi,

Yes.

No. Even when using the new Proxmox Backup Server you still use "vzdump", it's just integrated as seamless (highly efficient) target storage.

Deduplication, incremental backups especially with the fast variant for dirty-bitmaps can still be a very good enhancement.
You're a bit limited with the network, but else I see no real drawback.

See the other thread - somehow I wasn't able to get nfs to work (I get a permission denied error).

Tobias

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!