Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

FYI: We updated the beta ISO so that it ships more up to date package versions.

Since the initial public release many fixes and features got added, for example, updates over the webinterface, verify schedules, better visualization of verify results, performance improvements - especially with higher latency links, and much more.

We want to avoid that people are starting off with a "worse" experience than currently available, so we encourage to use the new ISO for setting up newer systems and update existing ones to the latest versions available.

Thanks for all the feedback and testing until now!

PS: No official planned release date for the first stable release yet, but we're working hard to get there.

I must say that Proxmox Backup Server/Client is an astonishing surprise for me (even after being a loyal customer for 7 years now). It solves so many of our backup problems.
Keep up the amazing work guys. Proxmox is going stronger and more popular day after day, even in big enterprises and I'm proud of it!

Reactions: Sven Jörns
I like this backup system. It's a nice replacement for bash scripts (zfs snapshots and diff sends) I'm using.

I would like to start using it in our new production cluster. Or must i go back to zfs sending snapshots bash scripts? :)

What do you guys think?

Seems to me that recovery is really slow,compared to older backup solution. Is there any way we can speed up this chunk looking and restoring?
As i see this procedure is using only one core?

Also,is it possible that backup somehow omits some files? I seem to be missing .war files,and also some psql WAL files. Really strange

Yes, ZFS replication and this are two completely different things Maybe just check out the main features to get an idea :)
Hi,

what exactly are the advantages of using PBS instead of zfs replication when doing VM backups?

Currently my VM backups are done with pve-zsync from Proxmox VE to a FreeNAS backup server. This basically just is zfs send/receive of a snapshot of the VM's underlying dataset/zvol and it is very efficient (both for network traffic and disk usage on the backup server).

EDIT: A disadvantage of this of course is the dependency on zfs stability. If the zfs file system on the Proxmox VE silently corrupts itself then the backed up snapshots are broken, too.

Last edited:
Hi,
what exactly are the advantages of using PBS instead of zfs replication when doing VM backups?

Currently my VM backups are done with pve-zsync from Proxmox VE to a FreeNAS backup server. This basically just is zfs send/receive of a snapshot of the VM's underlying dataset/zvol and it is very efficient (both for network traffic and disk usage on the backup server).

* pve-zsync or any other approach based solely on ZFS snapshots is not an integrated backup strategy, with schedule based, flexible pruning for a sane backup retention setup, it's also not exposable as backup target storage in Proxmox VE
* no single file restore, e.g., via our file explorer
* not being able to just directly map an arbitrary backup from the past, with data pulled from the server as needed
* no dirty-bitmap incremental backup for VMs, which allows to makes a safe and fast backup in about 1s most of the time
* no central backup server where one can backup data efficiently and fast from almost any file system, not just ZFS based
* ... probably quite some points I currently not remember

Note that with Proxmox Backup Server you're normally as efficient regarding on the wire data as send/recv, but you have all bells and whistles from a full-blown backup solution, permission/user management, pruning, verification, central access point in case of failures, but still being able to replicate efficiently to all over the world, ...

IMO the real questions is: why would someone not use Proxmox Backup Server? Especially if Proxmox VE is already in use.

Last edited:
Because it is in BETA?
I mean, yes, but I think that "drawback" is quite prominently known and taken out of the equation when asking this in the main BETA thread of Proxmox Backup Server.

But, we're also quite actively onto changing that, getting it released as stable rather already this year, not the next *knocks wood* :)

Is there support planned for the backup system fetching backup on its own from PVE ?
For security I wouldn't let them both run on the same machine or let PVE have access to the backup system. At best it'll just grab backup stuff from live systems on its own.

Last edited:
Is there support planned for the backup system fetching backup on its own from PVE ?
For security I wouldn't let them both run on the same machine or let PVE have access to the backup system. At best it'll just grab backup stuff from live systems on its own.
the backup should have it's own disks direct.

Hm, there are similar error like before in 0.9.7:
214: 2020-11-10 20:42:34 ERROR: Backup of VM 214 failed - VM 214 qmp command 'backup' failed - got timeout

This is greate, thanks for provide PBS. I just update to version 0.9.7 both server and client, and I notice one issue:

When ProxMox backup job failed in client side, the server side PBS datastore still keep running status.

This issue also exist in version 0.9.1 PBS server and client.

Hello,

Proxmox-Backup is a very nice product! I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to install PBS into a LXC Container? (or it its better in a VM?) probably a vm is better but is lxc running?
2. Is it possible to get Lets Encrypt Certificate for PBS? At the moment the machine have self - signed certificate.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi,
1. Is it possible to install PBS into a LXC Container? (or it its better in a VM?) probably a vm is better but is lxc running?
LXC works fine in general. See: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pbs-on-lxc.78959/#post-349632
VM works out fine too, but In general we recommend running on bare metal to avoid coupling between backup archive and the things which actually get backed up. One can also go for a VM or CT locally and an offsite PBS remote to secure off such cases, would be a good thing in general to have offsite copies of all import data.

2. Is it possible to get Lets Encrypt Certificate for PBS? At the moment the machine have self - signed certificate.
Yes and no. One could already set it up with some manual intervention, but there's nothing like the integration in PVE, yet.
Adding that is on the roadmap, though.

No.

You are recommended to create a user or better even API token with backup only privileges, this way the PVE system, even if compromised, cannot delete any backup - if it compromises the Proxmox Backup Server through a Proxmox VE host it can read all live data anyway, so no point in disallowing the backup data.

We see a backup server which can fetch from all infrastructure, meaning access all infrastructure on an access level which allows to read all guest data as highly insecure and risky, it provides a central attack point which, if compromised, gives on access to the whole infrastructure, so no, we do not plan to add any such mechanism.

Hello again,

Ok I have installed it in KVM VM nice!

Next question I have some NFS Shared Storage for Backup, how can I connect it to PBS? Is there any option for direct attach NFS like PVE? I see your screenshots on website, looks like you use some external Storage Providers too.

Regards,

Oliver

Next question I have some NFS Shared Storage for Backup, how can I connect it to PBS? Is there any option for direct attach NFS like PVE? I
Yes, but we recommend local storage - else you may send all backup traffic twice over the network (from backupee to PBS and from there to NFS), if those are separate or high speed networks with enough bandwidth available that may not be a problem, but you should be aware of that.

You need to manually mount it on the PBS host for now, the most important thing is that the backup daemon runs as "backup" user (uid/gid 34 normally) so the NFS mount needs either be moiunted with that uid, or it needs to be able to set owner to that UID.

I see your screenshots on website, looks like you use some external Storage Providers too.
The screenshot of the dashboard? IIRC, that are the datastores of our remote Proxmox Backup Servers where we have sync jobs for off-site backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!