Proxmox Backup Server 2.0 released!

Not a complaint, just curious: any special reason why btrfs isn't in the pbs-installer like it is in the pve-installer?
One can already use a BTRFS based datastore, so that avoided the need for a "storage plugin", and we wanted to go a bit slowly here with that new support of root FS. If it holds up OK in Proxmox VE we could enable it for the next point release.

That question is not really related to the PBS 2.0 release, please open a new thread in the future.

That's not supported there in the web-interface, as simple appliance only basic networking configruation is exposed.

You can naturally edit /etc/network/interfaces for complexer setups if required.
For co-installed PVE + PBS it's recommended to only use PVE for network settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: World Tech
That question is not really related to the PBS 2.0 release, please open a new thread in the future.

That's not supported there in the web-interface, as simple appliance only basic networking configruation is exposed.

You can naturally edit /etc/network/interfaces for complexer setups if required.
For co-installed PVE + PBS it's recommended to only use PVE for network settings.
Sorry, will do next time (open a new thread that is).
I see the checkbox for "VLAN aware", but cannot activate it via the web interface.
Ok, thanks again for the info!

Hello,

I just upgraded, and things went smooth (still tests to make for so far so good). Only thing to point out is that is stating version 0.1-0 "proxmox-backup-server: 2.0.5-1 (running version: 0.1.0)" ad not the installed one.

Any sugestions to solve this? GUI seems to be the correct one.

That was a cosmetic glitch due to some restructuring of the source code, but it only got to the pbstest repository - are you using that one?
Anyhow, should be fixed again, as a minor upgrade was published not much after the "bad" one got out, so if you update to latest it should be correct again, i.e. to package proxmox-backup-server version 2.0.5-2.

Good morning,
We're evaluating Proxmox backup server as new backup platform.
Currently we're using Proxmox VE with our custom scripts to manage backups based on ZFS.
This way, we can use our backup server both for zfs backups and for spinning up some clones when needed.
Based on what I read online, PBS is not offering the possibility to start up lxc or vm.
Am I wrong ?
Furthermore, can I retain the current zfs backup, sending incremental snapshots to the current backup datasets, or the product completely creates a new non-zfs storage ?
Sorry for the probably obvious questions, but I never tried or saw a demo about pbs.

Hi,
Good morning,
We're evaluating Proxmox backup server as new backup platform.
Currently we're using Proxmox VE with our custom scripts to manage backups based on ZFS.
This way, we can use our backup server both for zfs backups and for spinning up some clones when needed.
Based on what I read online, PBS is not offering the possibility to start up lxc or vm.
Am I wrong ?
Furthermore, can I retain the current zfs backup, sending incremental snapshots to the current backup datasets, or the product completely creates a new non-zfs storage ?
Sorry for the probably obvious questions, but I never tried or saw a demo about pbs.
Please open a new thread for such questions, this is the Proxmox Backup Server 2.0 release thread.

Short answers: While we recommend using a whole bare metal host for the primary backup server, Proxmox Backup Server can be installed in a VM or in a Container just fine.

PBS provides its own CAS (Content Addressable Storage) which is independent of the FS used. You can still do ZFS send/recv in theory, but in practice it makes much more sense to setup a PBS on the remote and use the integrated sync jobs:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#sync-jobs

I did not even know there was a Proxmox 7, things move so fast!
Is the proxmox backup that is included in Proxmox VE the same application?

Is that to say that upgrading PBS should be done after upgrading an existing PVE 6.4 cluster? Is PBS 2.0 not compatible with previous PVE versions?
i think this sentence is meant for pbs/pve parallel installations on the same host.
pve 6.4 should be perfectly able to backup/restore to/from a pbs 2.0 installation

i think this sentence is meant for pbs/pve parallel installations on the same host.
Ooooh okay that makes more sense. Felt like there should have been more attention on the topic if my thoughts were true, glad to hear that PBS running on an independent system/or VM can be upgraded without losing connectivity/compatibility in communicating with older versions of PVE.
Thanks Dominik!

Reactions: World Tech and hepo
The real log messages for the cause of the failing service start are further behind in the journal, can you execute:
Bash:
journalctl -b -u proxmox-backup.service -u proxmox-backup-proxy.service
scroll to the time of the update and post the output from there (i.e., the lines shortly before "Start request repeated too quickly" starts to appear).

Please post also the output of: proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose
Hi, I have the same issue.

Bash:
proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose
OUTPUT:
root@pbs01:~# proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose
proxmox-backup 1.0-4 running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve
proxmox-backup-server 1.1.1-1 running version: 1.1.1
pve-kernel-5.4 6.3-8
pve-kernel-helper 6.3-8
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve 5.4.106-1
ifupdown2 3.0.0-1+pve3
libjs-extjs 6.0.1-10
proxmox-backup-docs 1.1.1-1
proxmox-backup-client 1.1.1-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit 2.5-1
pve-xtermjs 4.7.0-3
smartmontools 7.2-pve2
zfsutils-linux 2.0.4-pve1

Bash:
systemctl status proxmox-backup-proxy.service
root@pbs01:~# systemctl status proxmox-backup-proxy.service
● proxmox-backup-proxy.service - Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proxmox-backup-proxy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2021-09-03 16:14:47 -03; 24min ago
Process: 1271 ExecStart=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/proxmox-backup/proxmox-backup-proxy (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 1271 (code=exited, status=127)
CPU: 1ms

Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: Stopped Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server.

Someone can help?

Hi, I have the same issue.

Bash:
proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose
OUTPUT:
root@pbs01:~# proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose
proxmox-backup 1.0-4 running kernel: 5.4.106-1-pve
proxmox-backup-server 1.1.1-1 running version: 1.1.1
pve-kernel-5.4 6.3-8
pve-kernel-helper 6.3-8
pve-kernel-5.4.106-1-pve 5.4.106-1
ifupdown2 3.0.0-1+pve3
libjs-extjs 6.0.1-10
proxmox-backup-docs 1.1.1-1
proxmox-backup-client 1.1.1-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit 2.5-1
pve-xtermjs 4.7.0-3
smartmontools 7.2-pve2
zfsutils-linux 2.0.4-pve1

Bash:
systemctl status proxmox-backup-proxy.service
root@pbs01:~# systemctl status proxmox-backup-proxy.service
● proxmox-backup-proxy.service - Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proxmox-backup-proxy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2021-09-03 16:14:47 -03; 24min ago
Process: 1271 ExecStart=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/proxmox-backup/proxmox-backup-proxy (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 1271 (code=exited, status=127)
CPU: 1ms

Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: Stopped Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: proxmox-backup-proxy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 03 16:14:47 pbs01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Proxmox Backup API Proxy Server.

Someone can help?

The solution:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/update-unauthorized-after-latest-update.61584/post-393404

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!