Proxmox and Dell R620

Antan

Apr 13, 2017
Hello all,
I am currently testing Proxmox on our Dell R620 server.
The server has 5 NICs (enoX) and I can use only eno3.
For some reason Proxmox cannot connect to the gateway even when the IP is provided by the gateway via DHCP. I have checked the /etc/networking/interfaces and I this is the setting I get after the installation:

----
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno3 inet manual

auto vmbr0 inet static
address 10.1.1.16
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1
bridge_ports eno3
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

iface enp66s0f0 inet manual
iface enp66s0f1 inet manual
iface eno1 inet manual
iface eno2 inet manual
iface eno4 inet manual
----
I have tried to add:
auto eno3

But still no luck.

Does anyone have a clue?

Many thanks
Tony

if you want to use the other NICs, you need to configure them yourself (you can do it over the GUI). the installer only configures one default bridge using the selected interface.

if you want to use the other NICs, you need to configure them yourself (you can do it over the GUI). the installer only configures one default bridge using the selected interface.
I don't want to use the other NICs. I just want Proxmox to be able to connect to the gateway using the NIC used during the installation (in this case eno3).
Also i cannot connect to the GUI for the same reason i cannot connect to the gateway.

I don't want to use the other NICs. I just want Proxmox to be able to connect to the gateway using the NIC used during the installation (in this case eno3).
Also i cannot connect to the GUI for the same reason i cannot connect to the gateway.

what does "ip l" and "ip a" say when logged in locally (or over iKVM/ILO/..)? are you sure the addresses are correct? is eno3 the correct NIC?

The ip address and related configuration are correct. Eno3 is also correct. Before testing Proxmox i have tested Xenserver. Same ip settings, no issues. I guess the issue is bridging related.
Ipba shows tha the bridge interface has the right address. Eno3 has no ip address. When i tested on a desktop with a single interface Proxmox worked fine straight away.

The ip address and related configuration are correct. Eno3 is also correct. Before testing Proxmox i have tested Xenserver. Same ip settings, no issues. I guess the issue is bridging related.
Ipba shows tha the bridge interface has the right address. Eno3 has no ip address. When i tested on a desktop with a single interface Proxmox worked fine straight away.

please post the output of
  • ip l
  • ip a
  • ip r

I got it sorted. I am not sure what was causing the issue. I have reinstalled Proxmox and it did work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!