Proxmox 7 stable installation aborted

zeuxprox

Renowned Member
Dec 10, 2014
Hi,

I just tried to install the Proxmox 7 ISO on two nodes of a Supermicro BigTwin Server whit this specific:
Server: 2124BT – HNTR
Motherboard: H12DST-B
CPU: 2 x AMD EPYC ROME 7404 24C
RAM: 1TB DDR4 3200 ECC REG
Graphics Card: Aspeed AST2500 BMC (on the motherboard)

The installation stops with the screen attached (Install_stops.png). I have searched a little and it seems that the problem is related to Xorg, and you can find in the attached files (Xorg_p1.jpg, Xorg_p2.jpg, Xorg_p3.jpg, Xorg_p4.jpg) the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

I tried to follow:

https://www.informaticar.net/proxmox-installation-aborted-unable-to-continue-on-intel-nuc-11/

and

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-debian-blank-screen-on-install.55970/page-3

but no luck, neither worked.

The iso of Proxmox 6.4 instead works and I can install it. Now, if possible, I would like to start with a fresh installation of Proxmox 7...

Can you help me, please?

Thank you

Attachments

• Install_stops.png
    Install_stops.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Xorg_p4.jpg
    Xorg_p4.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Xorg_p3.jpg
    Xorg_p3.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Xorg_p2.jpg
    Xorg_p2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 47
  • Xorg_p1.jpg
    Xorg_p1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 51
Do you recommend installing Debian 11 first and then Proxmox 7 or installing PVE 6.4 first and then updating everything? Note that I would like the root partition in zfs raid1...

Thank you

Note that I would like the root partition in zfs raid1...
in that case i'd recommend going via 6.4 and upgrading first
if nothing is on it, the upgrade should not take long and there should not be any issues

Reactions: mare19
Same problem for me on a system with 2x EPYC 7542 processors. Actually--both 6.4 and 7.0 installs were failing in the same way. When I remove my Quadro P400 from the system though at least 6.4 will install. I also tried the fixes you linked and they did not solve my problem.

I still would like to know, how the installer is built.
But maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

I solved this problem as follows:
On the initial installation screen I chose the option "with DEBUG", at the first stop, I gave the sequence (CTRL+D), at the second stop I switched to another console (ALT+F3) for example, I typed Xorg -configure, it will generate a file called xorg.conf.new in /root or / , then copied it to the directory /etc/X11/ with the name of xorg.conf (cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf and in then I edited this file with nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and in the "Device" section I changed the "Driver" option to "fbdev", save the change. Return to the installation console (ALT+F1) and press CTRL +D to continue, after finishing the installation of everything it will return to the F1 console, just press CTRL+D again and it will finish the installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: goseph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!