Proxmox 6.2: Navi 5700xt GPU Passthrough to Win10 Guest

Same here, 3970x, Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, my Proxmox 5700XT pass through is slow to a crawl vm at the moment, might need to revert a change.. 3min to open the Start menu then get device manager, when before I had a hard drive test at 15-25GB/s (4x1TB nvme zfs raid) Add in card.

To my understandig this is all because of configuration issues. You may have set a default which now negatively affects performance.

Also, this is exactly what kvm=off means. Literally ever single instruction is emulated now, which is about as fast as it can go without kvm.

Last edited:
Reactions: nlegger
Thanks for this! I did go through and verify all of these things were in place, and actually ended up finding the solution!

I had to add the following to my Windows 10 guest configuration:

qm set <VMID> -cpu "host,hidden=1,flags=+pcid"
qm set <VMID> -args '-cpu 'host,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off''

I'm honestly not sure if all of these were necessary to add, but I can certainly say that I am now passing through my XFX 5700xt flawlessly! Thank you so much for all of the help guys! Hopefully this will help someone else in the future who wants to pass through a Navi GPU.

Now if only AMD would fix this freakin' reset bug... o_O
https://github.com/gnif/vendor-reset

To my understandig this is all because of configuration issues. You may have set a default which now negatively affects performance.

Also, this is exactly what kvm=off means. Literally ever single instruction is emulated now, which is about as fast as it can go without kvm.
I ended up wiping and redoing now I am so close, just need to get rid of the code 43 error for 5700 XT.

I read somewhere that the AMD drivers have problems if you hide the CPU vendor. Have you tried it without +kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_vendor_id=NV43FIX,kvm=off?
I've tried numerous variations, let me give this a go later this evening and I'll report back Tuesday. Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!