proxmox 5 - no boot with USB, and cdrom ISO fails at 100%

I posted on this thread back on October 18th 2017. (See #14 & #16)
For the record, I ended up buying a USB [External] CDROM to resolve this issue, which I know is ridiculous, but I could not be bothered trying to work around it. (I think I paid $14 on eBay for it if you're wondering)

Using the USB CD - the installer runs perfectly.
So the bugs remains in the installer when run from a USB drive it seems.

Thanks for the follow up! But I'm not sure we can blame the hybrid iso installer when your computer's uEFI bios won't enumerate the embedded cdrom image.

two other tricks are using a 2.0 USB port for the stick (low chance of happiness) or Legacy boot. (higher chance of happiness, but you might not find all your disks)

hpboot.png hpnocd.png

same problom with PVE 5.2 install on hp dl360 gen9 using ilo usb cdrom
PVE 5.1-3 is OK

I am also hitting this issue, and it's incredibly frustrating.

I'm using "proxmox-ve_5.2-1.iso", and installing on several SuperMicro X11 servers.

I've written it to a USB stick using Etcher on MacOS. I have also attempted to write it to a USB stick using dd on MacOS.

Each time I boot from USB, shortly after selecting Install Proxmox from the boot menu, I get:

Code:
searching for cdrom
testing again in 5 seconds
[    5.852094]   usb usb2-port3:   Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable       is bad?
[    5.853308]   usb usb2-port3:   cannot disable (err = -32)
etc.

I also tried using a USB CD-ROM drive, writing the ISO to a blank DVD, and booting from that. I then get:

Code:
error: disk `lvmid/sXE31Z-5X57-cfZo-AdWI-gG2s-TNwz-OlunO/Oda6P5-hzWa-7n7c-Wo3t-oWf0-56ym-VSZ7dc' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Is there any way to get Proxmox 5.2 to reliably boot currently?

Oddly enough, the previous release (proxmox-ve_5.1-3.iso) does boot correctly.

So it seems like some change in 5.2 potentially broke things?

Same problem exists with 5.3, identical server, one worked fine, the other didn't. Very weird.

Any hints what causes this bugs?

Apparently still an issue, I downloaded latest 5.3 iso, dd'd it to a proven bootable usb stick and got stuck with
Code:
GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

hardware is Dell c6100 node server with SAS drives installed.

Going to try the Debian install method.

As I need ZFS booting capability from the outset I went ahead and managed to PXE boot it with the debian PXE boot guide and used this pve-iso-2-pxe script in github (sorry no link, new user) to generate the kernel and init.d worked with 5.3.2

The issue is with uufi boot bios.
I have an oldish supermicro server that I just did a full refurb because I thought my MB was fried. Turned out it was my PSU.
But, anyhow, the old mnivores was legacy bios so proxmox load was never an issue.
It needed a little fines and manual interaction to boot from usb but other than that no problems. The new MB had uefi bios on by default. Nothing I did worked to boot from usb. And usb cdrom worked but had some issue similar or other posters.
Get to 100% and kinks out.
I turned off the ufi to legacy and all just worked. It's the pve bootloader. Demian has the latest one and it support uefi bios just fine. Pve is quirky.

Reactions: DerDanilo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!