Proxmox 5.4 USB install - no cdrom found, 5.3 working OK

I need to necro this thread after finding it Googling "proxmox no cdrom found", because it's not working on VE 6.1-1. "no cdrom found" error comes up when I use Rufus in ISO Image Mode.

I need to necro this thread after finding it Googling "proxmox no cdrom found", because it's not working on VE 6.1-1. "no cdrom found" error comes up when I use Rufus in ISO Image Mode.

* did you verify the checksum of the download? (in case of corrupted download)
* did you try with etcher?

Checksum verified good.

Using Etcher worked - I'm past the cdrom check. Now I don't have a mouse cursor in the agreement screen. I see a menu when I right-click and can use the scroll wheel to scroll the agreement up and down, but I can't see my pointer in order to click "Agree".

Apparently the Proxmox installer "has tons of problems", including this one. Maybe it was meant for newer servers. I'm using an old Poweredge T410. According to that thread I can try updating UEFI or installing Proxmox on top of Debian. Unless there's something else anyone has in mind?

Using Etcher worked - I'm past the cdrom check. Now I don't have a mouse cursor in the agreement screen. I see a menu when I right-click and can use the scroll wheel to scroll the agreement up and down, but I can't see my pointer in order to click "Agree".

does using the Tab button work?

Apparently the Proxmox installer "has tons of problems", including this one. Maybe it was meant for newer servers. I'm using an old Poweredge T410. According to that thread I can try updating UEFI or installing Proxmox on top of Debian. Unless there's something else anyone has in mind?

we try to test the ISO on various hardware, but unfortunately we can't test it on everything.
you can try making a firmware update on your server and see if that changes anything.
otherwise you basically have two options
1. find an older ISO which works and do in-place upgrade to the latest versions (not preferable if you want to install more than a couple of nodes)
2. install debian and put proxmox on top

Tab button does not work on the first "Agreement" page with the "Agree" button.

After I was able to right-click the menu to see where the mouse cursor was and then guess-click the Agree button, the TAB button started working on the following page, except it wouldn't select "Abort", so I just powered down the computer.

1. Yeah, I just tried to get the Dell SBU (Systems Build and Update Utility, like a driver updater) loaded on a USB drive to boot into the gui and upgrade it, but the drive wasn't recognized even with the UNETBOOTIN flashing program. The latest version is 2014, and I confirmed my server has the latest version of the BIOS, but the warranty ran out in 2013, so I might just have a large, black doorjam instead of a server.

I'll try #2 and see how Debian fares. I was able to get Ubuntu+Plex running (with some difficulty with the friggin login screen being too graphically intensive for my server).

I'm also accepting suggestions for new servers (Amazon.com only) at ~$200-300.

Thanks for the help.

Hey guys

In my case I got the message: no cdrom found.

I solved it by using Rofus and choosing the DD Mode. I think what everybody like me did wrong is looking for the setting for the DD mode in Rofus. But after you hit start you get a Windows popup where you have to choose the DD mode. Evendoe Windows recommends sth different.
41247520-1d7246f4-6da6-11e8-9902-5146a5a08113.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!