Proxmox 5.1 and LXC / Debian 8 template problems

joblack

Apr 16, 2017
Hi,

I am checking out the LXC function with Debian 8. I used the debian-8.0-standard_8.7-1_amd64.tar.gz template provided by Proxmox.

The main problem is that the LXC container doesn't use systemd as a default init system but the full Debian 8 aka Jessie does that.

If I want to install it with

apt-get install systemd systemd-sysv

at first it seems to work but the LXC container is very slow.

In the /var/log/syslog file the entry

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted lxc

can be found.

I think there is something wrong with the container image? Did you use a generic LXC container or did you adjust one?

If it is 'home brew' Debian Jessie should have systemd as default Init System. If it is a problem of Proxmox the problem maybe should be checked out.

Last edited:
Yes I know. I would have used Debian 9 if it were possible. I tried Puppet on Debian 9 but several Modules aren't compatible with Debian 9, yet.

So is the Debian 8 template broken for Proxmox / LXC? If yes I maybe have to use KVM or another option.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it won't work 'perfectly' as soon as you want to install packages (e.g. Puppet Agent) which require Debian Jessie to have installed Systemd.

Systemd is default in Debian Jessie and I suspect a lot of external packages require it to be installed and running.

It can also be read in the official Debian release documentation

Caution

Be advised that some packages may have degraded behavior or may be lacking features under a non-default init system.

https://www.debian.org/releases/jes...n.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system

Last edited:
you can install systemd from jessie-backports, it should work (but test using a test container before doing it with production ones..)

you can install systemd from jessie-backports, it should work (but test using a test container before doing it with production ones..)
Hi Fabian,

I did install systemd as it is installable in Jessie (see above) but the container will slow down significantly and throw error messages like

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted lxc

systemd from jessie-backports worked last time I checked, systemd from regular jessie does not

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!