Proxmox 4.4 on Raidz-1 Boot Fails

GUENTER

Oct 14, 2015
Hello,

I use Proxmox 4.4 in an RaidZ-1 with four 4TB WD Red, one disk fails now and after the Replacement boot fails

grub rescue>

So I use the USB thumb drive wit version 4.4 to boot into "rescue mode" which works great, then install grub also on the new drive and scrup the zfs pool again, fixing some errors but it works until this morning, the server reboots without interaction and was stil not able to boot.

But now the "rescue boot" do not work anymore, even with the new Proxmox 5 Beta thumb drive the rescue boot fails --> there is no output until it seams to run into a timeout and show the boot selection again.

And yes I try until now four different usb thumb drives and re download the iso either.

I were not able to find a debian jessie live image with zfs support included to fix my volume or be able to analyze the case why.

Where can I get such an Live Image?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Günter

Hello,

I use Proxmox 4.4 in an RaidZ-1 with four 4TB WD Red, one disk fails now and after the Replacement boot fails

grub rescue>

So I use the USB thumb drive wit version 4.4 to boot into "rescue mode" which works great, then install grub also on the new drive and scrup the zfs pool again, fixing some errors but it works until this morning, the server reboots without interaction and was stil not able to boot.

But now the "rescue boot" do not work anymore, even with the new Proxmox 5 Beta thumb drive the rescue boot fails --> there is no output until it seams to run into a timeout and show the boot selection again.

And yes I try until now four different usb thumb drives and re download the iso either.

I were not able to find a debian jessie live image with zfs support included to fix my volume or be able to analyze the case why.

Where can I get such an Live Image?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Günter

with Debian Jessie or Stretch you need to compile the kernel modules in the live environment, which is a bit of a PITA. if you want a live cd with built-in ZFS support, use Ubuntu >= 16.04 (you just need to install the ZFS userspace utilities, the kernel already comes with the modules).

Hello fabia,

many thanks for your reply!

A feature request: Please include an recovery mode into the install image which boots up a live environment from the thumb drive.

I fixed the issue by adding an other small disk and install there proxmox 4.4, boot up and fix the automatically mounted rpool and update the grub config like shown here:
https://extremeshok.com/7039/proxmox-grub-zfs-recovery-rescue-system-chroot-and-recover-grub/

Maybe this will help anybody else too, but I am a little bit unhappy that no one in this forum was able to give me such a hint...

BR
Guenter

Hello fabia,

many thanks for your reply!

A feature request: Please include an recovery mode into the install image which boots up a live environment from the thumb drive.

I fixed the issue by adding an other small disk and install there proxmox 4.4, boot up and fix the automatically mounted rpool and update the grub config like shown here:
https://extremeshok.com/7039/proxmox-grub-zfs-recovery-rescue-system-chroot-and-recover-grub/

Maybe this will help anybody else too, but I am a little bit unhappy that no one in this forum was able to give me such a hint...

BR
Guenter
Hi,
your link don't show any help (bad gateway)…

BTW, I was able to fix an (own made) grub error with the rescue mode of pve 4.4 for an zfs-install without trouble.

Udo

the "debug" mode offers a (console-only) live environment with access to all the basic tools, including LVM, ZFS, chroot, networking, etc. just hit abort on the license screen and you are dumped to a root shell within the installer environment..

Reactions: chrone
Hi, same problem here with Proxmox 5 but without a disk fail. I have simple (and clean) reboot the host (with 3 hdd in raidz1) and fail. Grub Rescue + Unable to find the device id...
I have made an ls and I see all the three disk (3x6tb). If I made an insmod zfs + ls (hd0,gpt2) it said unknown filesystem. So I am completly blocked. Currently, I make a backup with an Ubuntu livecd (no problem to read zfs) but I was unable to make the machine bootable again (no success whih grub-install, update-grub, mkinitrd, ...)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!