Proxmox 4.4-13 Restore Issue

Phinitris

Jun 1, 2014
Hello,
I use Proxmox 4.4-13 (latest version) with LVM-thin store on a HP RAID with 4 SSDs (RAID 10).
I'm currently migrating some VMs from a Proxmox 3.4-16 installation. I backed up a VM (qcow2/local) with Snapshot mode and gzip 2 compression to a NFS data store.

When I restore the backup to the LVM Thin Pool from the NFS data store it is quite fast at first but then the restore process hangs, IO Delay is 100% on ~3 cores while there is no disk activity. After about half an hour the restore process continues for 5-6 percent but then stops again. Now the restore is at 100%, huge IO delay, no disk activity and a kernel error. After waiting for an hour again the backup is complete and everything is normal again. However the backup is only 20 GB big.
I have attached the kernel error message and backup log.

While the backup is restoring I get a "CPU stuck for 120 seconds" in any KVM that is running at that time and even when all VMs are stopped the issue occurs.´

Note: The restore process writes with about 450 MB/s at first so it's definitely not a disk issue.

Best regards,
Henry

Attachments

• Screenshot_75.png
    Screenshot_75.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 17
  • restore.log
    6 KB · Views: 11
Hello all,

I had the same problem yesterday. Backup of all VMs to nfs. Renew the Server from 3.4 to 4.4.x (completely new installation on newly build raid), Thin-LMV as default. Update to 4.4.13......reboot....
During restore of single machines, the rest of the already restored and running machines were blocked or even crashed. Problems with the block-device.
System HP-Proliant with Smartarray - Raid 5, normal disks.

At the moment all are running but still seem instable.

best
Gerd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!