Proxmox 1.5 + DRBD Failover question

Mark

Feb 19, 2010
Hi there, i've been using proxmox for some time now and i'm pretty happy with it. Though i have a question about it's failover functionality..

I am using lvm on top of DRBD. All data is synchronized live to the other node, ok cool .. so that means that if i have 10 vm's running on server A and that servers burns down/explodes/or something else that won't make it come back on-line, all the data is safely on server B .. but now, .. why can't i start them if the master of my cluster goes down ..

Besides all the great things proxmox has, this is a real drawback of proxmox .. i have a cluster for failover, master dies, np i have a backup! ow, .. no wait, i can't control it because the master is down.. This is the main reason why i'm not using backup scheduler, because i'm using this thing in production and some time ago the master decided to crash .. I found out it was an LVM issue during backup, now that's np, as long as i know i can start the vm's easily on the slave.

(to bad the Troubleshoot page on the wiki is still emtpy :( )

Sorry for whining ;)

Hi,
for this it's not a bad idea to save the config-files (/etc/qemu-server/*.conf) on the other node (e.g. every night).
If the master goes down, you can make the second node to be the new master and restore the config-files from the old master, start the VMs and all fine?!

Udo

That's an option indeed, but for usability it would be nice to have an option on the slave's web interface, something like "Master down, make this node master"
And proxmox takes care of config backups to the slave automagically as soon as there are changes made to the config files .. but ofcrouse manual backups can be made ofc. Though it would be nice to have this functionality in proxmox itself.

I know that's it's going to be in 2.0, though making suggestions might give you new idea's as well for those functionalities ;)

And I love that you're going to use corosync for the HA part .. i've been playing with it for some time now, and it's so nice :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!