Problems when installing Proxmox

T30re2

Oct 13, 2024
Hi,
I'm running into issues when installing Proxmox. I'm not sure why, it ran fine when I was using raid instead of zfs. I made sure to switch the raid card into hba mode too. Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated. the console is saying that setting alignment to a value that does not match the disk. It is also saying that it can't create rpool and that one or more devices are currently unavailable.

What kind of machine are we talking about here?

Which controller are we talking about? Type/manufacturer...

How was the controller reconfigured to HBA? (Screenshots)

Do you also have screenshots of the installer with the error messages?

What are the possible data stores for ZFS that would be available for installation?

What kind of machine are we talking about here?

Which controller are we talking about? Type/manufacturer...

How was the controller reconfigured to HBA? (Screenshots)

Do you also have screenshots of the installer with the error messages?

What are the possible data stores for ZFS that would be available for installation?
The machine is a poweredge R630

Controller configured to hba by first configuring the ssds to non-raid, and then to hba mode as seen in the attached image:hbamode.png

The screenshots with the error messages are as follows (apologies, it wouldn't let me post the whole image at once):
p1.png
p2.png
p3.png
p4.png
p5.png
p6.png

I have 8 drives but set the os up to run in a raid1 configuration on the first 2 (bay 0 and 1).

It's somewhat odd because it was working fine when I set it up last time in raid mode. I wiped the drives and such so I could redo it on zfs mode.

Regards

Last edited:
That is indeed strange. Thanks for the screenshot with the HBA settings. This looks easy and good.

I had similar behavior with an HP server some time ago. It could not be installed correctly. I then fully wiped each disk (nwipe). Nwipe is part of most Linux distributions. The tool, or a similar one, is already available from HP in ILO5. Perhaps Dell also has this in IDRAC. That process took almost 7 hours. This overwrote 100% of everything. After that Proxmox could be installed successfully.

What i've found is also this interesting system: https://github.com/PartialVolume/shredos.x86_64/releases/tag/v2024.02.2_26.0_x86-64_0.37

That is indeed strange. Thanks for the screenshot with the HBA settings. This looks easy and good.

I had similar behavior with an HP server some time ago. It could not be installed correctly. I then fully wiped each disk (nwipe). Nwipe is part of most Linux distributions. The tool, or a similar one, is already available from HP in ILO5. Perhaps Dell also has this in IDRAC. That process took almost 7 hours. This overwrote 100% of everything. After that Proxmox could be installed successfully.

What i've found is also this interesting system: https://github.com/PartialVolume/shredos.x86_64/releases/tag/v2024.02.2_26.0_x86-64_0.37
Thank you. I will give that a shot the second I can and get back to you.
Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: mariol

It worked. Thank you!

Although now for some reason, the usb that I used to do the initial proxmox install is showing up on my disks even though I removed it. Is there a way to manually take it off the disk page?

Although now for some reason, the usb that I used to do the initial proxmox install is showing up on my disks even though I removed it. Is there a way to manually take it off the disk page?
Could you please post a screenshot?

After reboot it was still there, but I managed to find a console command that took care of it.
I'm glad you were able to solve it for yourself :cool: , would you like to share the command with us? This will certainly help other users who are facing the same problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!