[SOLVED] Problem with samba server in a container

serveronion

Oct 28, 2022
Hi everyone, I want to use Proxmox for my home server and first tried to setup a samba server in a container, just to get started.

The Problem is that the samba server is not reachable. It is shown on the network, but I get an error when I try to connect. The container itself is online. I used the standard Debian template and followed this tutorial: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-create-a-samba-share-on-ubuntu-server-20-04/
After reinstalling (the container and proxmox) it still didn't work, so I tried the exact same installation and config on a normal debian install, and there it worked.
I didn't really change anything in proxmox after installing, only to the no-subscription-repo. The container uses dhcp. I tried to disable the firewall for the container, but that didn't help.

In summary: Samba server and config work on normal debian install, but not in proxmox. My guess is that it is something with the network for the container, but I can't figure it out. I've been at this for days and really would appreciate it if someone could help me.

Last edited:
I was using a folder in the /root directory for the samba share. When you try to connect with any samba user that isn't root, you will get an error, even when the permissions have been changed. So don't use /root for shares.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!