Problem connecting to external ceph running on same Proxmox node

oz1cw7yymn

Feb 13, 2019
Hi,

I am experimenting with cephadm and I've done a couple of proof-of-concept installations.

For this issue, I have a new proxmox installation and I have installed and bootstrapped cephadm. Proxmox is running fine and ceph is running fine on the same hardware. I have tried to add a ceph rbd pool as an external rbd storage follwing https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#ceph_rados_block_devices as well as tried similar instructions such as 45 drives KB https://knowledgebase.45drives.com/kb/kb450244-configuring-external-ceph-rbd-storage-with-proxmox/.

I have copied the keyring to /etc/pve/priv/ceph/storage_id.keyring (storage_id is rbd-hdd-osd-2-1) and to /etc/ceph, and copied the ceph.conf to /etc/pve/priv/ceph/storage_id.conf and to /etc/ceph. I have the storage with both KRBD and without.

I still have a question mark for the storage and it's marked as inactive.

Here is the kicker. I have another newly installed proxmox node. When I add the external rbd pool from the other node, it works immediately. I have gone through the files above on both nodes (in /etc/ceph and /etc/pve/priv/ceph) and they are identical. So far, the only difference seems to be that using the same mon ip as the node itself doesn't work. I tried adding an A record in the DNS and using that instead, but didn't help.

Is this a known situation or does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: amir.ibrm
I will answer myself, the problem was that on the proxmox node ceph-common 12.2.11 and the cluster to be connected was 15.2.15.

Снимок экрана от 2021-11-17 13-48-51.png

you need to go to install ceph, then installation
Снимок экрана от 2021-11-17 13-48-51.png

close window
and open terminal

apt install ceph-common
ceph-common will be updated

or add proxmox ceph repo ....
and update/upgrade

Happy! I hope someone will help.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!