[SOLVED] Prevent node fencing while updating corosync config

budy

Jan 31, 2020
Hi,

I am about to manually change the corosync config on my PVE cluster to introduce a 2ng Ring-Interface. I have read up on how to do that and although I am pretty sure, I got the config right, I was wondering if I could somehow prevent my nodes to be fenced, should I have messed up the new config nevertheless. Since HA is nothing you can simply switch off, I was thinking of removing all HA resources using the API. Would that work or is there another way of temporarily disabling fencing?

Thanks,
budy

Just read on some other thread, that once all HA resources are deleted, it's necessary to restart the lrm daemon on each node like this…

Code:
systemctl restart pve-ha-lrm
We'll see, how it goes…

Hi,

it's actually saver to just stop the HA daemons - which puts the HA resources into the freeze state and release the watchdog (responsible for resets).

The order in which you stop them matters though:

1. Stop all LRM services systemctl stop pve-ha-lrm.service (or use the webinterface to stop them)
2. Wait untill the LRMs are stopped and all services (which aren't in ignore state) are frozen
3. Stop only then all CRM services systemctl stop pve-ha-crm.service (or use the webinterface to stop them)

Now the watchdog is released and you can do cluster maintenance without it interfering.

that once all HA resources are deleted, it's necessary to restart the lrm daemon on each node like this…

Yes, for the removal of resources this is required.

You could actually "remove" them by:
mv /etc/pve/ha/resources.cfg /etc/pve/ha/resources.cfg.tmp
then restart all LRMs

After maintenance was done you could again re-add them with: mv /etc/pve/ha/resources.cfg.tmp /etc/pve/ha/resources.cfg
(no restart required for that)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!