Power Failer and VM qcow2 file gone

parbat bhatiya

Jun 19, 2018
hello

as i used directory base storage as proxmox default configuration

i have problem when power failer then my widnows 2012 r2 qcow2 gone

after main server hard rebooted and this vm when i am starting getting error

vm doest not exist qcow2 file what to do ?

i did try recovery all way like

r-studio testdisk and other recovery i did try but no luck is there anyway to do recovery or help plz ?

or how i can prevent for my feature like this issue with some advance configuration ? or help plz

Hi,
what exactly is the error when trying to start the VM? Is your disk corrupt? Is your qcow2 disk still visible in the output of `pvesm list <storage>`? Is it in the default image folder under /var/lib/vz/images/?
To avoid data loss by power failure you have to perform regular backups onto a preferably remote host and test their consistency by attempted restore. Also a UPS can help to avoid power cuts and allow for a graceful shutdown.

no any other way ? or alternate way like storage method ? change or something ?

and here any way to recover ?

and yes pvesm list local do not apear my 102 in /var/lib/images so is there way to recover this qcow2 file ?

i did try studio but seen 4 kb file only so unable to recover :) in deleted i have seen

So your qcow2 image is still there but not connected to the VM anymore? Is this correct? You can try to import the disk by running `qm importdisk <vmid> <source> <storage>` to reattach it to the VM.
See `man qm` for more details.

Also have a look at `qemu-img check filename` if you want to check the consistency of your disk image.

no i did not happen recover but restore from my old backup but now

seems any way to make it safty to do not happen like this agai n ?

because its crashed disk and gone did not happen success for recover becuase our hard drive is one file and there is binary kind of reocvery option seen so i think difficulty to restore it from recovery softwares i did managed from my old backup

but proxmox have backup but if i want ot keep last 2 backup and remove old backup is it possible ? by weekly shedule ?

why proxmox does not have inbuild disk checking features for make server healthy and happy :)

really this is big mistake disk is very important as hart of our clients and mine and everybody so plz

anyone can implement on this for next version ? because its huge drawback so if achive we can capture many cusotmers with our proxmox plus values and reputation also :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!