Postfix not working = where are the logs?

hendr1x

Dec 14, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am trying to setup postfix to send me system emails via gmail exchange. I've had this setup without issue on proxmox 7. I am now running proxmox 8 fully updated. I set everything up. Unfortunateyl the following two commands (using proper email addresses) do not work.

```
sendmail test@test.com
Subject: Test mail
This is a test email
```
```
echo "This is a test email2." | mail -s "Test email2" test@test.com
```

```
journalctl -u postfix

-- Boot 12a285c51049476fbc0a8f4da707a765 --
Aug 28 21:20:43 aeolus systemd[1]: Starting postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Aug 28 21:20:43 aeolus systemd[1]: Finished postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
Aug 28 21:30:12 aeolus systemd[1]: postfix.service: Deactivated successfully.
Aug 28 21:30:12 aeolus systemd[1]: Stopped postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
Aug 28 21:30:12 aeolus systemd[1]: Stopping postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Aug 28 21:30:12 aeolus systemd[1]: Starting postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Aug 28 21:30:12 aeolus systemd[1]: Finished postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
```

My system does not have /var/log/mail* and does not have /var/log/syslog

I have no idea how to get more information to help with this issue. Can someone please help me find the proper logged information so I can debug?

Thank you.

My system does not have /var/log/mail* and does not have /var/log/syslog

With PVE 8/Debian 12 bookworm `rsyslog` is not installed by default anymore (you can optionally still install it and would get the logs in /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/syslog afaict.

journalctl -u postfix
I think the issue here is that you're looking only at the postfix unit - from a small container:
Code:
systemctl -a |grep postfix
  postfix-resolvconf.path                                           loaded    active   waiting   Watch for resolv.conf updates and restart postfix
  postfix-resolvconf.service                                        loaded    inactive dead      Copies updated resolv.conf to postfix chroot and restarts postfix.
* postfix.service                                                   masked    inactive dead      postfix.service
  postfix@-.service                                                 loaded    inactive dead      Postfix Mail Transport Agent (instance -)
  system-postfix.slice                                              loaded    inactive dead      Slice /system/postfix
I do get most postfix logs with `journalctl -u postfix@-.service` (but would suggest in general to look through the complete journal, because the issue might be somewhere else entirely `journalctl --since today` for example)

I hope this helps!

I am trying to setup this as well.

Looks like postfix is utterly broken on proxmox 8 (debian 12)

see:
Code:
Oct 23 19:09:06 proxmox-bl postfix/qmgr[45140]: warning: private/smtp socket: malformed response
Oct 23 19:09:06 proxmox-bl postfix/qmgr[45140]: warning: transport smtp failure -- see a previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
Oct 23 19:09:06 proxmox-bl postfix/master[45138]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtp pid 45194 killed by signal 11
Oct 23 19:09:06 proxmox-bl postfix/master[45138]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling

the smtp daemon crashes on SASL transport !

did you get this working ?

did you get this working ?

You likely don't have rsyslog installed.

apt install rsyslog

I was able to find what I needed via ‘journalctl -u postfix’.

That let me learn that I was having an issue with how credentials were handled

Last edited:
Looks like postfix is utterly broken on proxmox 8 (debian 12)
works here in the default config - did you modify the configuration - and if yes how?
could your provide some more context from the journal?

You likely don't have rsyslog installed.

apt install rsyslog

I was able to find what I needed via ‘journalctl -u postfix’.

That let me learn that I was having an issue with how credentials were handled
I have full logging enabled through:

maillog_file = /var/log/postfix.log

Are you running a TLS session ?

works here in the default config - did you modify the configuration - and if yes how?
could your provide some more context from the journal?
It's needed to run a TLS session to relay smtp to smtp.gmail.com:587

using an app password on Google.

Last edited:
Code:
Oct 24 13:12:33 proxmox-bl postfix/smtp[3070]: starting new SASL client
Oct 24 13:12:33 proxmox-bl postfix/smtp[3070]: name_mask: noanonymous
Oct 24 13:12:33 proxmox-bl postfix/smtp[3070]: smtp_sasl_authenticate: smtp.gmail.com[142.250.102.109]:587: SASL mechanisms LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
Oct 24 13:12:33 proxmox-bl postfix/smtp[3070]: xsasl_cyrus_client_get_user: myemail@gmail.com
Oct 24 13:12:34 proxmox-bl postfix/qmgr[1268]: warning: private/smtp socket: malformed response
Oct 24 13:12:34 proxmox-bl postfix/qmgr[1268]: warning: transport smtp failure -- see a previous warning/fatal/panic logfile record for the problem description
Oct 24 13:12:34 proxmox-bl postfix/master[1266]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtp pid 3070 killed by signal 11
Oct 24 13:12:34 proxmox-bl postfix/master[1266]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/sbin/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling

Looks like the TLS authentication is failing.
Any ideas?

Answering my own question:

adding following to /etc/postfix/main.cf solved the problem:
Code:
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = login

Is a bug: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-sasl/issues/511

it forces the sasl client to use login io xauth to authenticate

hope this helps someone...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!