Postfix main.cf - Did you guys make this yourself?

Lantizia

Jun 29, 2009
Hey,

I like to use a minimal install of Debian 5.0 i386/amd64 when creating servers. So if I was installing on a KVM or physical machine I'd normally use the netinst ISO and when tasksel appears during installation I untick "Desktop environment" and also "Standard system" leaving no package sets to be installed which means I solely get a base system.

It was my understanding that using --minimal on the Debian Appliance Builder would get me a similarly built OpenVZ container. However I've noticed that it comes with the Postfix MTA already installed (as opposed to no MTA at all). I'd love it if I could get some clarification on --minimal vs selecting nothing on tasksel.

However I'm not too bothered by it as I want to use Postfix anyway. This is the default configuration that exists when you make the container...

/etc/postfix/main.cf
Code:
# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
recipient_delimiter = +
As far as I can tell this default configuration file does not exist in normal Debian. If I was on a KVM or physical machine and ran "apt-get install postfix"... none of the choices out of... "No configuration", "Internet Site", "Internet with smarthost", "Satellite system" or "Local only" would give you this file.

For starters "No configuration" gives you no main.cf (you have to copy it from /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.debian which still isn't this file), and all the others ask you for your FQDN, which can't really be done if you're preparing a container template in advance of the actual server.

So a few things, is this file written by the Proxmox team, or is this really a default file that can be generated normally on a non-OpenVZ based system and if so how?

The reason why I need to know is I'm writing an install script that depends on the default distribution configuration files as it only modifies what it needs to.

Thanks

Steven

Last edited:
However I've noticed that it comes with the Postfix MTA already installed (as opposed to no MTA at all). I'd love it if I could get some clarification on --minimal vs selecting nothing on tasksel.

well, a server without MTA does not make sense too me - that is why I install an MTA.

So a few things, is this file written by the Proxmox team,

yes (see DAB.pm)

Hi,

Well I still don't agree that a --minimal mode should install anything more than... well... the minimum.

You do _not_ need an MTA in all circumstances.

Do you have any material on how I can construct a real minimal template?

Steven

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!