[SOLVED] possible bug proxmox 7, active-backup bond with VLAN aware bridge causes no internet

so this happens on both of my dell r630s.

i am going to try upgrading an HP server and see if the issue persists there.

Nothing should be left unchecked. But to be honest, I'm done with suggestions. :(
If everything works until the point where you enable vlan awareness, I have no clue where to look for possible errors.
Config looks good, so yes, maybe a firmware issue.

Nothing should be left unchecked. But to be honest, I'm done with suggestions. :(
If everything works until the point where you enable vlan awareness, I have no clue where to look for possible errors.
Config looks good, so yes, maybe a firmware issue.
thanks for your time and effort!

I may have not made this too clear but when I remove VLAN Aware from vmbr0, it works without an issue on 7.0. Also, the proxmox server is NOT any any tagged network, its on the primary LAN.
if you enable vlan-aware option, the ip address on vmbr0 will be on default vlan 1. (so you need to support vlan=1 tagging on your physical switch as default vlan too)

Reactions: zeuxprox
if you enable vlan-aware option, the ip address on vmbr0 will be on default vlan 1. (so you need to support vlan=1 tagging on your physical switch as default vlan too)
@spirit 1 is the default on the All profile which is what i have those ports configured for.

@mira, thanks I'll give that a try and report back.

The native vlan id is pretty irrelevant, I would say. I have vlan 99 as native vlan on my trunks and everything works out of the box.

Its working!

NOTE: making any changes to networking will wipe this config out as of version 7.0-9

Here's what I did:
  1. To get the permanent mac addresses for each physical NIC ,and the mac addresses of the bridge and bond (note, the bridge and bond are the same), I ran ip -d addr |grep 'vmbr0\|eno\|ether'
    Code:
    root@proxmox-6:~# ip -d addr |grep 'vmbr0\|eno\|ether'
    2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:c8 promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ca promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    4: eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:cc promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    5: eno4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ce promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    22: bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,MASTER,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff promiscuity 0 minmtu 68 maxmtu 65535
        bond mode active-backup active_slave eno1 miimon 100 updelay 0 downdelay 0 peer_notify_delay 0 use_carrier 1 arp_interval 0 arp_validate none arp_all_targets any primary eno1 primary_reselect always fail_over_mac none xmit_hash_policy layer2 resend_igmp 1 num_grat_arp 1 all_slaves_active 0 min_links 0 lp_interval 1 packets_per_slave 1 lacp_rate slow ad_select stable tlb_dynamic_lb 1
    23: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff promiscuity 0 minmtu 68 maxmtu 65535
        inet 10.10.3.18/24 scope global vmbr0
    root@proxmox-6:~#

2. nano /etc/network/interfaces

I removed auto eno1, auto eno2, auto eno3, auto eno4

I added hwaddress <mac address> to each of the interfaces

3. Code:
    root@proxmox-6:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
    # network interface settings; autogenerated
    # Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
    # you're doing.
    #
    # If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
    # please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
    # so.
    # PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
    # configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
    # the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eno2 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ca

iface eno1 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:c8

iface eno3 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:cc

iface eno4 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ce

auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eno1 eno2 eno3 eno4
        hwaddress fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode active-backup
        bond-primary eno1

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.10.3.18/24
        gateway 10.10.3.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

4. restart networking by running ifdown -a; ifup -a

I still wonder why some have to fiddle with mac addresses while it works flawlessly with others ...
Maybe because I don't use untagged traffic on the bridge, only VLANs?

Last edited:
Reactions: se_marc
I believe I've tried everything in this thread regarding this issue, still no luck. ifupdown has been removed and purged. ifupdown2 has been reinstalled.

The messages I get upon trying to bring up (ifup) the vmbr0 interface:

Code:
error: vmbr0: netlink: cannot create bridge or set attributes: operation failed with 'Numerical result out of range' (34)
warning: bond0: interface not recognized - please check interface configuration

/proc/net/bonding/ appears to have no files in it.

My section for my bond in /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        hwaddress 66:88:e0:41:00:f6
        slaves enp2s0 enp3s0
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad
        bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4

I've added bonding and bridge to /etc/modules and ran update-initramfs -u.

As far as I know none of my configuration has changed. I did try to add the hwaddress info per this and a couple of other threads but have not had any luck. This is my current interfaces file excluding the USB NIC I have setup just to get the system online:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto enp2s0
iface enp2s0 inet manual
       hwaddress 68:05:ca:1e:8a:e2

#auto enp3s0
iface enp3s0 inet manual
       hwaddress 68:05:ca:0b:ab:5b

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        slaves enp2s0 enp3s0
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address  x.x.x.x
       netmask  x.x.x.x
       gateway  x.x.x.x
       broadcast  x.x.x.x
       bridge_ports bond0
       bridge_stp on
       bridge_fd 0
       network x.x.x.x
       dns-nameservers x.x.x.x

dns-nameservers x.x.x.x
       dns-domain xxx.xxx
       dns-search xxx.xxx

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
       hwaddress aa:47:37:38:fb:7e
       address  x.x.x.x
       netmask  x.x.x.x
       bridge_ports none
       bridge_stp on
       bridge_fd 0

Running and 'ip ad' shows the vmbrX devices, but show as "<NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000".

The bond device does not appear at all.

Its working!

NOTE: making any changes to networking will wipe this config out as of version 7.0-9

Here's what I did:
  1. To get the permanent mac addresses for each physical NIC ,and the mac addresses of the bridge and bond (note, the bridge and bond are the same), I ran ip -d addr |grep 'vmbr0\|eno\|ether'
    Code:
    root@proxmox-6:~# ip -d addr |grep 'vmbr0\|eno\|ether'
    2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:c8 promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ca promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    4: eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:cc promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    5: eno4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,SLAVE,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master bond0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether fa:7c:1b:7c:c9:e0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ce promiscuity 0 minmtu 46 maxmtu 9600
    22: bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,MASTER,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
        bond mode active-backup active_slave eno1 miimon 100 updelay 0 downdelay 0 peer_notify_delay 0 use_carrier 1 arp_interval 0 arp_validate none arp_all_targets any primary eno1 primary_reselect always fail_over_mac none xmit_hash_policy layer2 resend_igmp 1 num_grat_arp 1 all_slaves_active 0 min_links 0 lp_interval 1 packets_per_slave 1 lacp_rate slow ad_select stable tlb_dynamic_lb 1
    23: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
        inet 10.10.3.18/24 scope global vmbr0

2. nano /etc/network/interfaces

I removed auto eno1, auto eno2, auto eno3, auto eno4

I added hwaddress <mac address> to each of the interfaces

3. Code:
    root@proxmox-6:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
    # network interface settings; autogenerated
    # Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
    # you're doing.
    #
    # If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
    # please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
    # so.
    # PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
    # configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
    # the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eno2 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ca

iface eno1 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:c8

iface eno3 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:cc

iface eno4 inet manual hwaddress b8:2a:72:d7:1e:ce

auto bond0
    iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eno1 eno2 eno3 eno4
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode active-backup
        bond-primary eno1

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.10.3.18/24
        gateway 10.10.3.1
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

4. restart networking by running ifdown -a; ifup -a
What I did was just removing the auto eno1 auto eno2 etc, basically remove the auto command for each hardware interface. I did not even add the hwaddress command for the bond.
There is a thread on this problem
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...ond-lacp-interface-not-working-anymore.92060/

Upgraded my R630's as well today, ran into the same problem, solved it (for now) by removing the two lines regarding VLAN:

Code:
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

It's not a big issue since I haven't been using VLANs yet—but I'd love to know what's wrong there.

PS: No bonds on vmbr0, not firewalled.

Last edited:
What I did was just removing the auto eno1 auto eno2 etc, basically remove the auto command for each hardware interface. I did not even add the hwaddress command for the bond.
There is a thread on this problem
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...ond-lacp-interface-not-working-anymore.92060/

I would think commenting out the line would serve the same purpose. Should removing the "auto" lines be done for only the interfaces that are part of the bond? Again I've tried this several ways, and I'm running off a USB NIC at this point just to have connectivity.

So, while writing this, for shits and giggles, I removed ifupdown2 and reinstalled ifupdown. Still no dice. Then I found this:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/ifdownup2-breaks-network-on-nodes.64463/

OVS....'member berries....did I install that at one point? No, pretty sure I didn't...

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch

Didn't think there was openvswitch installed, but went ahead and ran and apt-get remove on it.....turned out it was...removed/purged openvswitch, rebooted and BAM, I've got pings to my VMBRx interfaces and can finally get into the web interface.

Upgraded my R630's as well today, ran into the same problem, solved it (for now) by removing the two lines regarding VLAN:

Code:
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

It's not a big issue since I haven't been using VLANs yet—but I'd love to know what's wrong there.

PS: No bonds on vmbr0, not firewalled.
I found problem if set bridge-vids 2-4094 but if I keep line and set the range 1-4094. Everything goes fine

My section for my bond in /etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        slaves enp2s0 enp3s0
        bond_miimon 100
        bond_mode 802.3ad

Change slaves to bond-slaves

We also did update from 6.4 to 7.0 and the bonding doesn't work.

When the primary uplink goes down the server doesn't fall back to the second uplink.
I changed the primary uplink to the second one and disabled the first uplink everything works fine.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp68s0f0 inet manual

iface enp68s0f1 inet manual

auto enp161s0f0
iface enp161s0f0 inet manual

auto enp161s0f1
iface enp161s0f1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves enp161s0f0 enp161s0f1
bond-miimon 100
bond-mode active-backup
bond-primary enp161s0f0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 45.151.xx.xx/24
gateway 45.151.xx.xx
bridge-ports bond0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
address xxxx:xxxx:11:6::1/48
gateway xxxx:xxxx:11::1

---

root@kvm110:~# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v5.13.19-1-pve

Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: enp161s0f0 (primary_reselect always)
Currently Active Slave: enp161s0f0
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0
Peer Notification Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: enp161s0f0
Speed: 10000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 3c:ec:ef:38:ce:c4
Slave queue ID: 0

Slave Interface: enp161s0f1
Speed: 10000 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: 3c:ec:ef:38:ce:c5
Slave queue ID: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!